Thread: Check, check, then check again

Check, check, then check again

Lesson and reminder the hard way. I cut some expensive material on my bandsaw yesterday. Came off all angles. I had had some previous less extreme problems but didn't relate them to the bandsaw. Got out the square and was really surprised at how much off square my table was. The knobs were loose also. I squared and tightened. Should have realized (there is a difference between knowing and realization) that with time everything can get out of adjustment. New shop project: check all tools for square and alignment.

Guilty of that too. I just assume this old iron won't move and for the most part it doesn't. But once ever few years some does get off and bites me. Maybe I should set a date once a year to check?

Seriously I wish I could get in the habit of just putting a square up against the blades ever month of so. These machines rarely ever get out of adjustment but that just makes me more complacent.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I cut some expensive material on my bandsaw yesterday. Came off all angles.
    To quote the Car Talk guys, was the first word out of your mouth 'Oh' ?

Good reminder.

I've finally got to a point where I can do some wood working for the next few weeks and was going out to the shop to clean it up and get ready to do some projects. After I clean, the first thing I'll do is a tune up on the machines...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

resawed a piece of maple the other day. Had the nicest wedge you ever saw

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Lesson and reminder the hard way. I cut some expensive material on my bandsaw yesterday. Came off all angles. I had had some previous less extreme problems but didn't relate them to the bandsaw. Got out the square and was really surprised at how much off square my table was. The knobs were loose also. I squared and tightened. Should have realized (there is a difference between knowing and realization) that with time everything can get out of adjustment. New shop project: check all tools for square and alignment.
    thankyou frank. Im always thinking my inexperience and rushed type of attitude lands me in the large scrapile section.
    I often forget one little screw, and have to redo things often.
    I was using my table saw as a sort of vice, and tried to pry apart two parts that were clearly glued well. I smashed one part with a rubber mallet today, it came out, but before it hit the floor, it smashed into my zero clearnence plate I made last week or so, and cracked it. I have no clue why I worked over the tablesaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Guilty of that too. I just assume this old iron won't move and for the most part it doesn't. But once ever few years some does get off and bites me. Maybe I should set a date once a year to check?

Seriously I wish I could get in the habit of just putting a square up against the blades ever month of so. These machines rarely ever get out of adjustment but that just makes me more complacent.

A friend of mine recently bought one of those little magnetic/digital level thingys. He quickly got in the habit of using it every time he went to use a machine. Takes only a second to check square on table saw, band saw, etc. Could be a very valuable addition to any shop. Guess, I just talked myself into buying one.

There not very expensive and I think that is a good idea. Been thinking about one for a while and that might be the reason to buy one.

I got bit by this last night. But nothing was ruined. I started jointing one face on the load of cherry I got so I could see what the wood looked like. Just wanted to knock it down, not finish it. I could pick and chose and rough cut.

I kept noticing the joint slowing down. It was some 8" wide board but that has never slowed it before. that old motor is stout. Check the knives and they seemed sharp. Finally checked the depth and it was hogging off some material! Don't know how or why but at least it was an easy fix.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits