What to do when your laptop s l o w s d o w n

Ned Bulken

or how to get in touch with your inner redneck.

My new van is Wonderful, and now that they've fixed the AC it is a somewhat nicer place to work than the Prius was. Only one problem, the laptop dock is at the very rear of the van, and none of the cool air gets down to that corner of the desk. By Noon or so, m y c o m p u t e r s t a r t s t o s l o w d o w n.

So, until/unless they ship me a cooling pad that will work with the docking station, I've decided to try a little redneck engineering. I have that nice bank of AC vents up on the roof, blowing cool(er) air at me, I'm going to redirect one of the vents down to the laptop...

you're in the ballpark Rennie,
I happen to have about 25' of 4" flex hose... I'm just waiting on dinner,then I'm going ot go to work out in the van. Might require a trip to Sears or wally world though. I don't have any zip ties handy.

I have the same problem with Tablet when I mount it in the Tray in my truck and turn on the GPS. It will get to the point it just will not work. It tells you to turn about a 1/2 mile past the turn. Of course in Winter, no problem!

Took me a while to discover what it was. I also have found that a little spacer (electrical cords in my case) between the tray and computer will allow some extra air flow.

I have the same problem with Tablet when I mount it in the Tray in my truck and turn on the GPS. It will get to the point it just will not work. It tells you to turn about a 1/2 mile past the turn. Of course in Winter, no problem!

Took me a while to discover what it was. I also have found that a little spacer (electrical cords in my case) between the tray and computer will allow some extra air flow.

In the Prius the Docking station was right up front in the passenger seat, so all I did was point the passenger vents at the dock and it ran nice and cool all day long.
Evidently this is one of the original vans, the newer ones had a chill pad installed, but this one never got one.

I tried putting a couple of water bottle lids under the front edge, but they didn't help enough. I think my solution will work, I just have to get the zip ties... pics once I git'r'done

redneckcoolerm.jpg

didnt' make it out of the house again after dinner, so this is my temp solution seems to be working well so far. Air is moving across and under the computer and that is the intent. Zero impact and easily removable. Haven't tried it while in motion yet, but I don't think it's going anywhere.

You might be a redneck if....
redneckcoolerm.jpg

didnt' make it out of the house again after dinner, so this is my temp solution seems to be working well so far. Air is moving across and under the computer and that is the intent. Zero impact and easily removable. Haven't tried it while in motion yet, but I don't think it's going anywhere.
All kidding aside - looks like a working solution - even if there is no duct tape. :D

As Rennie said no duct tape, but using a wire clothes hanger is close. :p

I hope using the short run of dust collection pipe doesn't set back the shop build :rolleyes:;)

....sorry had to get a shop build reference in here somewhere.
:rofl:

As Rennie said no duct tape, but using a wire clothes hanger is close. :p

I hope using the short run of dust collection pipe doesn't set back the shop build :rolleyes:;)

my knee did more than this will...

....sorry had to get a shop build reference in here somewhere.
:rofl:

You mean sit it back Even More? ;)

Hmmm. can it really be set back more? I don't think so...