Hershey eateries

allen levine

I need some time off, so the wife and I decided to take a ride down Hershey PA way, since Id love tosink my teeth into a nice 10 lb chocolate bar and take in some nice relaxing time and see the sites.
Nothing exciting. A musuem or two. It was this or the maine coast, and I opted for this area.
Ayone know any decent solid eateries around Hershey these days, and Id take info on any large lumber suppliers also, since hardwoods are off the wall insane on LI>

Don't know the area well enough to recommend anywhere to eat, but enjoy the park while you can. I understand that Hershey's is closing up its plant there in PA and moving outside the country.

Frank

Just came back from the over July 4th break.

Hotel Hershey is supposed to have a 4 Star restaurant, but I'm more of a Pizza Hut kind of guy, so take that into perspective.

Just down the road from the park is a shopping mall with a Pizza Hut, Bob Evans and a few other food places. Tucked in the corner of that lot is the Cocoa Diner and Grill. We had breakfast there both days. Good food - fast service - not too crowded.

I hadn't heard Hershey was moving their manufacturing away. It looks like they are doing some construction in town for a history center and some other stuff. We are planning on going back to Hersey Park in 2 years - it will be interesting to see what they have done in that time frame.

If you are into outdoors/hunting and travelling via I-78 you should plan on stopping in at Cabela's in Hamburg PA. HUGE outdoor/sportsmans store with a Deer Hall of Fame and ton's of stuffed trophies. www.cabelas.com

There's a Woodcraft in Allentown PA thats within 5 minutes of I-78 also.

I don't have any insight into local wood suppliers.

Jim

Allen,

As Jim mentioned, Hotel Hershey has a really nice restaurant which is on the formal side. There is also a smaller grill/bistro as well which is nice and is also casual. The hotel is neat to see anyway. The original lobby is cool as are the grounds. There is also a rose garden, but I think admission is charged to see that. In addition to the places Jim mentioned, there is also a Red Robin hamburger place just down the street from the park. I’m like Jim, so I rarely get to any “nice” places. I’m just far enough away from Hershey that I don’t know any of the local eateries.
As far as lumber goes, Groff’s is a good set-up, though is a bit of a haul from Hershey. They have local and exotic woods. Sandy Pond Hardwoods is just up the road from Groff’s, though I have never been there. http://www.figuredhardwoods.com/
There is also a small sawmill just south of Columbia, PA – Hollister’s He’s only open Saturday mornings, but you should still call ahead just to make sure http://www.hollistersawmill.com/ Bob is a nice guy and it is a really cool little mill. He has local woods only, no exotics.
If you're interested in cars, the Antique Automobile Club of America is headquartered in Hershey and their museum is there just a mile or two from the park. http://www.aacamuseum.org/
Oh, and Hershey isn’t closing its U.S. plants. It is laying off 1500 of its 13,000 employees. The Canadian manufacturing will be closed though. It is also opening a plant in Mexico, and a joint venture with a Korean firm in China. Both those facilities are intended to serve their local markets which are growing – the North American market is flat. With that said, Hershey Entertainment and Resorts is a separate entity from the chocolate company. They were split in 1927.

Hope you have a good time! If there is anything I can help with, send me a note!
Wes

thanx everyone, Im going to have to wait till friday mid afternoon to travel, so Ill be in the heart of rush hour, but I dont have a choice.(wanted to leave tomorrow)
My wife is pre-warning me about "lumber" stops along the ride.
She says I spend enough time, this is "down" time.

I tried to explain to her Saturday night, along with a relative who used to have a kitchen design business, that Long Island might be the highest priced area in the nation for hardwoods, but she didnt seem to want to understand.
I look at the prices of these lumber yards in Pa, and even with surface planing, its 40% less than anywhere local.(I could manage to store 100 bf of white oak and some ash.)
Not sure how it will pan out.

thanx everyone, Im going to have to wait till friday mid afternoon to travel, so Ill be in the heart of rush hour, but I dont have a choice.(wanted to leave tomorrow)
My wife is pre-warning me about "lumber" stops along the ride.
She says I spend enough time, this is "down" time.

I tried to explain to her Saturday night, along with a relative who used to have a kitchen design business, that Long Island might be the highest priced area in the nation for hardwoods, but she didnt seem to want to understand.
I look at the prices of these lumber yards in Pa, and even with surface planing, its 40% less than anywhere local.(I could manage to store 100 bf of white oak and some ash.)
Not sure how it will pan out.

Oh Allen, look at it this waaaay. When you do decide to take a lumber trip out to PA or other places, the room she would have taken up could be used for more board foot of lumber. That... and you wouldn't have the conflicting odor of lumber and perfume if she went along with you. It might also be more relaxing going alone, a quieter drive, and you could linger longer than normal at the lumber sites without having to hear "can we go now...?" :doh:.... I should just shut up now HUH? oh..... don't show her this post, OK? LOL:rofl:

Ted