I need some new tools

I am looking at getting a new shaper. I want to be able to do some cabinet doors and possible an external door once and a while. I do not have an unlimited budget. I would like to hear your recommendations. I have looked at the Mini max top of my budget and the shop fox bottom of my budget. I would like to hear pros and cons of both and other machines you may be using or would recommend.

I am also looking for a edge sander. Any used machines I should look at

Greg

Last edited:
Greg,
Well you know what I got, I think...a MM T50N with all the bells and whistles + power feeder. While it is a very versatile shaper it does take a lot of time to set it up for runs. Tod has the very BIG brother to mine the Formula T1 that is much more heavy duty than mine a serious production machine. For my needs this T50N shaper is way more than adequate as it is a no frills serious heavy duty beast.

That being said if your are looking into making doors in more of a production environment you may at least want to consider a door system. One guy mentioned to me a Weaver door system. It consists of a bunch of shapers set up to do different functions (stiles, rails, panels) I do not think they are very expensive but then again they are entry level as far as what I was told. Many other shops I have seen have many low cost shapers like the Shop Fox all set up for different parts. Some people like the sliding table on shapers like mine (or the linear bearing table on Tod's) but other prefer to use a sled with vacuum clamp hold downs...a personal choice. So you will need to decide to either spend more on one shaper that will be very versatile (but slower in setups) or spend less money on cheaper shapers but need multiple ones.

As far as edge sanders...I just got my EG150 from Sunhill ,can not believe that word came out of my mouth ;>) , anyway it ain't pretty and it is no where built like the rest of my machines but it seems to sand an edge OK.

Last edited:
Thanks paul,
I looked at the edge sander you purchased and it is on my short list. I also have seen a couple of Ritters in local shops. They look decent but I am ot sure of the price. I may even look at the grizzly edge sanders but would prefer to pick up something big and used.

As for shapers I may go with a couple of Taiwanees shapers and set them up with for cope and stick. I can get a Rojek for about 1500 less than the MM but may save my bucks for the MM later in the year. I would use the MM for mouldings and special stuff and keep the 2 smaller machines for cabinet doors. Or maybe I will do like everyone else and outsource my doors. Then I can just get the big MM and be over with.

Greg

Greg,
The edge sander I got was the last one left and also was freight damaged and repaired with full warranty. I only paid 1095 for it. If I would have paid full price for this machine ...then I would have been annoyed. This sander has been replaced my the newer models. The problem is a good used one, like an Oakley or Eklstrom, is going to set you back 3-4k. I just did not want to spend that on such a single function machine right now.

If you want to really make some money first and then splurge on a good shaper...outsource your doors but get a Williams & Hussey for your millwork. I opted to add a power feeder to my T50n to make moldings more safely.

Thanks paul,
I looked at the edge sander you purchased and it is on my short list. I also have seen a couple of Ritters in local shops. They look decent but I am ot sure of the price. I may even look at the grizzly edge sanders but would prefer to pick up something big and used.

As for shapers I may go with a couple of Taiwanees shapers and set them up with for cope and stick. I can get a Rojek for about 1500 less than the MM but may save my bucks for the MM later in the year. I would use the MM for mouldings and special stuff and keep the 2 smaller machines for cabinet doors. Or maybe I will do like everyone else and outsource my doors. Then I can just get the big MM and be over with.

Greg

As far as edge sanders go do your homework before you buy a Ritter. I bought a Ritter single line boring machine and am sending it back. Was unhappy with the quality, even though it would probably do the job in the long run, but was very hard to set up and keep accurate. This may not be the case with their sanders but I would research thoroughly. I'm in the market for an edgesander too but can't decide which way to go either.

As far as shapers go Paul pretty much nailed it. You have to decide for what and how much you are going to use them. How accurate and vibration free they come has to do with the weight of the machine.

Doug

greg, a shaper is bottom line the spindle.....more specifically the bearings supporting the spindle....all other parts are superfluous....doing small stuff like coping really doesn`t require a spindle with large bearings but raising panels or using a tennoning disc does.....for a quick reference look at the bearing housing, how large in diameter is it? then how far apart are the bearings spaced? this will give you an idea of what a specific machine was designed for....in order to manufacture mouldings both a shaper and feeder and a hussey are just about necessarry.....then you`ll need tooling.....spend small amounts often to buy as you need or large amounts less often to set-up and make your own?.....for entrance doors i highly recomend a cast iron tennoning table riding on linear bearings... for edge sanders as paul said look to either ekstrom-carlson or oakley....you won`t ever regret either one...tod

don`t have one doug? i`ve not used `em? but they look well made and whirlwind is a reputable company....tod

I'm not familiar with the upper end shapers.

What I have is a 3hp Powermatic shaper for doing raised panels. It does a good job

Ok,
I think I am going to go big on the shaper and pick up a Hussey. As for the edge sander I think I am going to skimp for now (I know I will regret it later) and pick up a Grizzly. Once the jobs come flowing in I can sell it on one of these sites and buy a bigger better machine. I am going to call Sam and see if he has or knows of any bargain MM Shapers.

Greg

greg, the ol` t-130 from scmi is a good unit that you`ll find used for a fraction of new.....for a hussey call cg schmidt.....tod