Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking with children

Woodworking with children

I'm looking for project ideas for kids (5 years old). My Grandson can use the bandsaw, tablesaw and drill press (all of it with me standing right behind him) and the usual handworking tools of course. He built a nice sanding block the other day. So what I'm looking for is simple projects (no dovetail joints please, they are tough on me too) that will keep his interest. Any suggestions, web sites etc would be appreciated.

Thanks, DKT

Sounds scary to me, a 5 year old anywhere near a table saw when it is running, but . . .

I had a couple of my grandkids building birdhouses using hand tools a while back. They were 7 and 8 at the time and we did them out of some Western Red Cedar. Then their Grammy watched over their painting them.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Palmer View Post
    Sounds scary to me, a 5 year old anywhere near a table saw when it is running, but . . .
    It's called Featherboards, Splitters, Bladeguards etc plus how you raise your kids, for example very minimal TV here.
    Thanks for the suggestion of birdhouses, commercial ones (Hobby Lobby sells them) or freelancing?

DKT

The first thing I made in my granddad's shop was a little solid maple cutting board for my grandma. Birdhouses are another good idea. Either the pre-made kits or made from scratch should work well. Also, wooden toys like cars and trains might be fun...both the construction and the playing with them afterwards.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dietrich Trenner View Post
    It's called Featherboards, Splitters, Bladeguards etc plus how you raise your kids, for example very minimal TV here.
    Thanks for the suggestion of birdhouses, commercial ones (Hobby Lobby sells them) or freelancing?

DKT
    We did ours from scratch, used some of those eastern cedar fence pickets. Only get my grandkids in small spurts since they live out of town and are getting raised by their parents. When they're here they get almost no TV because we don't watch it either.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

Bob Wiggins is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietrich Trenner View Post
    I'm looking for project ideas for kids (5 years old). My Grandson can use the bandsaw, tablesaw and drill press (all of it with me standing right behind him) and the usual handworking tools of course. He built a nice sanding block the other day. So what I'm looking for is simple projects (no dovetail joints please, they are tough on me too) that will keep his interest. Any suggestions, web sites etc would be appreciated.

Thanks, DKT
    Kids usually get a kick out of a top they can build. The ones I'm thinking of consist of a yoke (for lack of a better word) a wooden wheel about 2-1/2" dia. or so, a dowel with a hole for the string to wind up and a straight pin head (bearing) centered in one dowel end. And when finished they have a top to entertain themselves. These are even entertaining for 7th graders to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    The first thing I made in my granddad's shop was a little solid maple cutting board for my grandma. Birdhouses are another good idea. Either the pre-made kits or made from scratch should work well. Also, wooden toys like cars and trains might be fun...both the construction and the playing with them afterwards.
    We bought some of the bird house kits on-line for the grand-daughter to put together with great grand-dad. They were inexpensive, around $2 to $4 per kit.... save your money. They were either warped or miscut. It would have been easier to precut a ceder fence board before hand and assemble them together, like here.

Ted

Yer have to be right careful when woodworking with children. First off, the glue don't stick too well, and then they shrink sumptin' terr'bul as they dry out. Just ruins yer dimensionin'.
    So do I type something witty here?

I'm thinking simple is best.

Precut the parts so they can hammer (yes hammer, nothing like beating 2 pieces of wood together) a bird house, or a little treasure box they can put their valuables in. Put a hasp and a lock on the box and I'd bet that would be a winner....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I remember a couple of my first projects were a pen/pencil holder (actually just cut and finished the wooden base and bought the pen set to attach to it) and an adjustable book shelf (two parallel dowels, one attached near the bottom of one bookend and the other with two holes drilled through so that matching end could slide) with pineapple bookends.
    The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...www.jbs.org