Knew it was going to happen but still wasn't ready for it...

Jim O'Dell

We had to put my old boy to sleep Monday mid day. He has been fighting liver problems for over a year, losing weight because he just didn't think anything and I mean anything, tasted good. He quit eating all together Friday. Wouldn't get up unless we made him, then had even more trouble walking than was normal lately. He would drink watered down Gatorade, chicken broth, or yogurt if Glenna syringed it into his mouth, but would spit out anything solid unless you forced it down his throat. So we knew it was time. He gave lots of kisses all weekend, and right up to the shot. He went quickly with no struggles, which was a comfort. But I gotta admit....I balled like a baby for a few minutes. In fact I'm tearing up as I type this.
He had a great life, I just wish it didn't have to end. Glenna said she knew it was her feelings talking, but she wants a puppy out of him. (We froze semen 6 or 7 years ago for an artificial insemination sometime down the road) None of the other Irish around here have his beautiful head shape.
Thanks for letting me share, and further the healing process. Jim.

Ch. Coolmeadow Northern Spy CD aka "Dalton"Dalton-head study large.jpgDSCN1837small.jpg

Jim,
I'm so sorry that the time came for your dear friend. Feel relieved that you did all you could do for him. The passing of time will help the hurt, but you will have fond memories forever. My wife's favorite dog had a similar end to his life about 3 years age. We still miss him, but are thankful for the years we had with him. That pup will undoubtedly be a favorite in your family when the time comes for another canine companion.

Jim, my sympathies to you and yours. I know I dread the day we have to say goodbye to our 'old man'. He's 10 and starting to show signs of arthritis.

Jim, I could tell his time was coming, based on some of your previous posts, but I'm still very sorry to see that it happened. May the pain be brief and the memories be forever. You know you did the right thing.

Jim,

My sympathies and condolences go out to you. I'm sure he was a fortunate pup to have lived his life with your family...

Brent

Sorry about that, not for being something expected hurts less.
I'm sure that if there is a dog's heaven he'll be there chasing endless rabbits.

jim, that's a tough job...we went through it several years ago and it's just painful. one thought i've always had as we enjoyed all five of our dogs over the last 40 years....wouldn't it be great if people could be as honest about their feelings as dogs??? no phony posturing, no bravado...if they love you they let you know continuously, whether you smell good at the moment or not...no games...and most importantly, no ego.

hope you get your new puppy as we did and pour all the affection into that lucky devil.

Thanks everyone. We're not lacking in the dog department, so there are several to help smooth over the hard times. And while we have had the responsibility to help 6 dogs to the Rainbow Bridge over the years, I guess what makes this one so much harder for me is this is the first dog that we bred and whelped that we have lost. He never lived away from us for a second of his 13+ years. He is also the first home bred dog that we finished a championship on. And the only dog I have shown to finish the CH title. So there were a bunch of firsts with Dalton. And originally we weren't going to keep a boy from that litter.
Hug your dogs a little extra tonight! Dalton would have wanted it that way. :thumb: Jim.

Sorry to hear about this Jim. I know and fully understand the struggles you are going through, but you gave him a wonderful life and it sounds like he reciprocated! Take care!

I have so little to say, but there is no love greater that that between a human and a animal companion. When I look at the stars tonight I will see Dalton, shining as a bright light, following you where you go, friends through eternity.

This makes me very sad.

He was a beautiful animal. Your situation reminds me of when we let our bigboy Saint go last spring, although he was much younger... so I'm having a bit of a cry with you. :(

Jim,
Sorry to hear about Dalton, beautiful looking dog.

We had the same situation 2 1/2 years ago with a 15 year old female black Lab. We still have her companion around, a 16 year old female Chocolate Lab, and she seemed to get a new lease on life since we moved out to the country, and we are enjoying all the time with her while she is still here.

Seems Dalton was well loved and will not be forgotten.
Take care,
Ted

Ted,

Don't want to hijack the thread, but ditto on the move to the country.

We always felt guilty having our labs in the city. We moved out to the country and gave our dogs a new lease on life.

One of them had about a year, and then she had to leave us.

The other old guy is hanging around, and although he can barely walk, still does a little saunter in the desert every day.

It does my heart good to know that we managed to get them to a leash free environment, although it was at the end of their days.

Our new dog (the yeller lab in my avatar) will never know how good she has it.

Spoiled, yellow, (Big), Brat.......

It's a balance. Put all of the love they give you over their lives on one side of the balance, and the grief when they leave on the other, there's no contest. The love wins out every time....

Jim...My sincere condolences. The love between humans and dogs....on the dog's part....it's without strings attached. I heard a joke the other day......but while funny it really is a truism.....

Take your spouse and your dog......put them in the trunk of your car....lock the trunk.....come back in an hour.....open the trunk and see who's happy to see you...... their love is unconditional.

My condolences Jim!