A new tote and knob for a refurbed Bedrock 605

Dominic Greco

I finally finished those totes I was making for my newly refurbed Bedrock 605. As you may remember, I got this 605 at a flea market for $20. It used to look like this:
605and60-1.jpg

605and60.jpg

The totes & knobs were sanded to about 400 and then sealed with shellac. After the shellac dried I sanded them with 600 grit and then gave them multiple coats of spray lacquer. They were allowed to dry for several days and were finally wet sanded, polished with machine polish, and installed tonight.

These were the first totes I made and they were filled with mistakes. I learned a lot making these and should be better prepared when I make them again.

The plane was cleaned in the usual fashion. Elbow grease and a wire brush wheel. The sole was pitted somewhat near the mouth. Flattening it seemed to get rid of the worst of it. There are (2) small spots near the side rear that are sort of deep. But they shouldn't effect the performance of this plane at all.

Here it is after I cleaned it up and installed the cherry tote & knob. I took it for a test drive on a scrap piece of cherry and was very pleased with the way it was performing.
605withcherrytote1.jpg

605Sole.jpg

And here it is with the bubinga tote and knob. Just to give it a real shake down I set the blade to take a very light shaving. You can see the way it handled this walnut.
605withbubingatote1.jpg

Of the two, I sort of prefer the bubinga. But I'm not totally sold yet. The cherry is my salute to LN while the bubinga is my knod towards LV. Which of the two do you like better?

Thanks for viewing!

Dominic,

To start with, you did a great job on the restore of the plane. Really looks awesome. As for the totes and knobs, I think the cherry is my fav. Did you change the angle of sweep on the two totes? It looks like the cherry has more curvature on the top than the bubinga.

Pretty impressive work on the totes and knobs, too. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of this plane, no matter which of the totes or knobs are attached.

Regards,

Dominic,

I just picked up an old Sweet Heart Bailey #3 that seems to have a plastic tote and wooden knob. Do you mind sharing you how-to's on making the tote and knob? I'm sure I could come up with something, but I'd like to hear the problems you ran into.

Thanks,

Hi Lee

Do you mind sharing you how-to's on making the tote and knob? I'm sure I could come up with something, but I'd like to hear the problems you ran into.

Lee,
Sorry it took me so long to get to this. I was away on vacation and just started checking my emails.

I've included several links in this thread that will take you to articles on making totes and knobs. They are the ones I followed when making mine.

http://www.shavingsandsawdust.com/projects/makingTotes/index.asp

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/Wood_How_To/INDEX_How_To_pages/Mitchell_on_DrillingTotes.htm

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodD...To_pages/Clovishound_on_TurningPlaneKnobs.htm

I hope this helps.

Dominic

Dominic,

Certainly appreciate the links. No problem at all on the time-frame. Hope you had a nice vacation. How did you make sure you drilled the long hole through the tote with the correct angle to match up to the sole? (Don't worry about a response if this issue is covered in the links)

Regards,

Dominic,

I checked out the three links you provided and looks like the ticket. I think I'll have to give it a go.

Thanks again,