When was this forum born and why?

Hi there.

Just for my own culture, I'd like to know when was this forum born and under what or whom initiative?

Last but not least why there are no anniversary celebrations of the forum?

( Maybe I'm asking too much:dunno:)

Some of the others can answer better, but it has been 2 years now?

The reason it was started, basically was a disagreement with another forum. The original 10 members felt like there was a better way to run a forum. So they formed their own the idea of it being member run instead of by one or two people.

Then there are people like me that are bad boys like me. :eek: I was told to take my toys and leave. That is when I was invited here, just as it was being formed. So while not one of the original '10' I have been here since just after the beginning.

Duhh, how did I forget Marty. Guess he has been to quite.

Steve Clardy, Don Baer, Joe Blakenshane(??)

Who is the stair/handrails maker? Fellow with the big white beard. I can picture him but can't come up with a name.

here`s my addled memory .....
marty
stu
vaughn
paul cresti
joe blankshane
steve clardy
don baer
me

that`s only eight:eek:...........

but to make a long story short those of us who started fww where contributors on sawmill creek and came to the conclusion that we didn`t care for the direction that forum was heading so we started this one. there was lotsa cyber ink flying back and forth regarding the governing documents and the staff structure which we all agreed was the major pitfall at sawmill creek, we came up with what we`re running under now and i`ve gotta say i`m real proud of the whole lot of ya`!
we may not have the huge membership or advertising dollars but by golly i think we`ve developed a cyber woodworkin` family!
tod

we may not have the huge membership or advertising dollars but by golly i think we`ve developed a cyber woodworkin` family!
tod

INDEED you guys did start something great! Glad I can contribute and gain knowledge here! Thanks to the original 10 and everyone else!! :thumb:

Yes, Richard Wolf was there and Ian Gillis :huh:

I think the actual number and the members was not exactly 10, in fact there was one guy who was in on the discussion of the original group, that then jumped ship and joined the staff at Saw Mill Creek.

Basically, we did not like the way Keith was running his forum, and that is something that needs to be said, is Keith's forum, and while we did try to debate the direction that things took, he had his own vision, and as it is his forum, that is the way he took things. Instead of sticking around and moaning and groaning about things, we started Family Woodworking.

I too am very proud of what we have done here, it is not always easy, but, so far, it is worth it to me.

Cheers!

Uh.....Stu.....I hope you weren't referring to me about jumping ship and joining the staff at SMC. I didn't know this place existed for several weeks. About the time I was told about FWW, I was asked to join the staff there.

Frankly,

I have friends at both sites and feel that I am obligated to maintain a presence at both sites.

If it hadn't been for those stinking turners, I'd have more money and wouldn't necessarily feel that obligation as much......:D

Last edited:
Uh.....Stu.....I hope you weren't referring to me about jumping ship and joining the staff at SMC. I didn't know this place existed for several weeks. About the time I was told about FWW, I was asked to join the staff there.

Frankly,

I have friends at both sites and feel that I obligated to maintain a presence at both sites.

If it hadn't been for those stinking turners, I'd have more money and wouldn't necessarily feel that obligation as much......:D
"The same old tingle that I feel inside, and then that elevator starts its ride
And down and down I go, round and round I go, like a leaf that's caught in the tide." :rofl:

Frank Pellow was here early, but not at the very beginning. Steve Ash and Greg Cook were also here shortly after we started.

And Larry's right about Andy. (I see no need to keep it hush-hush any more...for various reasons.) ;) Very soon after we graduated from sending a bunch of e-mails to talking on a forum (using a temporary forum Stu had available at the time), Keith offered Andy the position. Andy felt he could effect positive changes at SMC, so he accepted the offer.

Well guys....

I hope not to have unleashed the resentment devil or opened pandora´s box with my question. I asked out of pure innocent curiosity, this is a great forum and I'd like it to continue like that:(