need some video help

Robert, if you have the camera the tapes were made with, chances are you can just plug it into your computer via the Firewire port or a USB port. After the two are connected, most cameras have software that came with them for copying the video to your computer and editing it. I ended up buying Adobe Premier Elements, and I use that to take things from the camera and mopve them to the computer.

Stu (a.k.a. Stuart B. DeMille) will likely have lots more useful advice.

Ah, now I understand. The firewire cards are pretty inexpensive...that's probably the way I'd go if it was me.

Here's one

If you don't want to go that route, you could send me the tape and I could see if I can put the video on DVD for you. PM me if you're interested. (Shipping would end up costing less than the card, but if you make any more tapes, the card would pay for itself.)

Firewire cards are getting pretty cheap.

The quality is amazing though.

Microsoft xp comes with windows movie maker, which is a decent basic tool for editing the videos after you dl them.

Be forewarned, making videos can get kind of addictive and fun after a while...

Dang nice job on the video Robert.

You guys sure know how to party! Brings me back to the old days watching my grandpa and uncle bring in the harvest...

Seriously though, if you ever need a cable for a computer, do not buy it at a office depot, best buy, staples, etc...

Digital is digital. Only difference might be the quality of the cable ends.

Go to the internet and search for the kind of cable you need and the length. you will find it much cheaper, even with shipping.

This applies exponentially to HDMI cables for those of you getting into HD TV at some point.

I've seen HDMI cables being sold for over a 100 bucks at best buy, when I bought perfectly functional ones for less than 10 bucks on line....

Glad to see you got it all figured out. I would have had no clue where to start hooking into a Linux box. It's been eons since my brief experimentation with Linux. :eek: I need to try running Linux again. Someday, in my spare time...:rolleyes: