Looking for opinions on panel cutting (optimising) programs

Hi John,
I personally do not use any panel cutting programs. What I do use is Google Sketchup. It's a free design software you can download from Google. It will do a 3d sketch with dimensions for your project. After I make my design. I will draw a 4 X 8 panel (if that is what I am using) and cut the pieces into it and labeling each piece to the design. Yea, it takes a few more minutes, but at least I know what it all means because I'm the one that designed it and cut it. You may want to check out the program. A lot of woodworkers I know are using this program now. Good luck,

I've used CutList before, it works pretty well. Lets you manage by project. Can enter different materials in and choose cut direction or either direction. As you entering your cuts, just choose the material and it will display each material with it's layouts for printing.

Cutlistplus

works wonders for sheet goods, but also does solid stock if you spend the time to input your inventory. Paid for itself by saving a full sheet of FG ply over what I had figured the first time I used it.

mike

There is a cutlist 4.0 plug in for Sketchup (different maker than either stand alone program?). I just down loaded it the other night, but since I haven't spent any time to speak of in SU yet, I haven't even opened the plug in to see what it is like. It's free also. Might be worth a look see.
link http://steveracz.com/joomla/content/view/45/1/
click on the box that says lumberjocks and it goes to a download page for the cutlist program. Anyone use this and know if it is worth it or not?? Jim.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. They are very much appreciated!!

Daniel, I did try the Google Sketchup a couple of times, but I seem to be "challenged" when it comes to using it. I know that millions of others have no trouble, so it must be me:). Thank you anyway!

I have had the "CutList" program suggested by others, so I'll have a look at it now.

Tod, I had not seen this program that you've suggested during my searches, but I'm going to take a look at it and see how it would fit into a small (very small) cabinetmakers shop. Thank you.

cheers all

John

Think you are challenged? I don't even know what you are talking about. ".....panel cutting (optimising) programs...."???? :dunno:

Tod, I had not seen this program that you've suggested during my searches, but I'm going to take a look at it and see how it would fit into a small (very small) cabinetmakers shop. Thank you.

cheers all

John

john, if my memory serves it`s around 10k for the full blown version...i don`t know if they offer a "lite" or small shop package but i`ve heard nothing but good about the program.

If you are working on a PC, CutList or CutList Pro is what you are looking for. They have different versions selling at differing prices. For the hobbyist, I believe about $90 will get you what you want.

CutList is pretty slick, and will save you wasted wood when cutting 4x8 sheets. It tells you whether to make cross cuts or rips first, and arranges all your pieces so that you minimize the passes through the blade. You can favor saving wood, or preserving grain patterns. Now that alone real trick.

The program builds an inventory list, so later, when you are faced with manhandling 800 lbs. of sheet goods, it will tell you where you have a piece of double faced walnut ply about 32 inches by 4 feet.

If you do a Google search, there are shareware groups that offer free, if less sophisticated programs which do the same. As always, much more plentiful in the PC world than in Macintosh-land.

Gary Curtis:)

Hi Frank,

Until a couple of weeks ago, I also had no idea that there was any such thing as a panel "optimisation" program. Panel optimisation is just fancy words for making sure that a sheet of material such as melamine gets the maximum usage. The software takes all the individual parts of a set of cabinets and then "fits" them to a sheet or sheets (depending on how many are needed) to give you a sheet cutting pattern that minimises waste. I have had the great fortune to become employed by a small-shop cabinetmaker and this is one of the things that he would have been researching if he had the time. Because I am semi-retired and am only working three days a week, I thought I'd do the research for him.

I did try the "Sketchup" program some time ago, but my "challenge" is an inability to connect what I visualise in my head with what needs to be accurately displayed on the screen. It gets quite frustrating at times, and results in me building most of what I make "out of my head" rather than creating a drawing first.

cheers

OK, makes sense. I now understand what is being talked about. However, like you, I have had difficulty with working CAD programs. Not my 'thang'.

I have the cutlist pluse and so far I have really liked it I plated around with a few of the others I thought this was the best for the dollers I was spending.