Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bandsaw blades?

bandsaw blades?

I'm going to call Suffolk in the morning and take advantage of their current promotion of 20%off a 5 blade purchase. I am looking for suggestions on what I should get and what I should get a spare of.

The saw is an 18in Steel City and I have a 1/4 6tpi and a 1/2 3tpi that I bought when I picked up the saw as well as the 3/4 that comes with it. Capacity is 1/8 thru 1 1/4. I will be doing some re-sawing and a BUNCH of ripping hard and soft maple 8/4 for a workbench.

TIA...

My best advise is to know what you intend to use the blades for and tell the Suffolk guys...they know a lot more about the blades and I trust them.
    -------------------------

Dario

http://www.aoturnings.com/

I'd double up on the 1/2" 3tpi. It's your best friend for ripping and it never hurts to have a spare.

As for the rest, I think Dario's advice is very good.
    All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

Quote Originally Posted by Dario Octaviano View Post
    My best advise is to know what you intend to use the blades for and tell the Suffolk guys...they know a lot more about the blades and I trust them.
    I agree. My saw is not the same as your saw so I cannot give good advice. Suffock knows saws and blades, that is for sure.

brent, following suffolks advice is a good idea......18" wheels are on the line for use with a trimaster? but it`s my understanding they work fine....if you intend to do "lots" of ripping carbide might be worth considering.....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I'll fourth the suggestion to seek recommendations from Suffolk....
    Got Wood?

Suffolk will guide you right. Just to help with understanding some of their recommendations here is an summaryexcerpt from Mark Duginske's book "The Art of the Bandsaw" (pg 25)

"I use one of 5 different blades

1/16'' 24 TPI scrooling but too fine for resinous woods

1/8" 14 TPI smooth cut, works on pine,cross cutting dovetails, fine cuts in hard woods

1/4" 4 TPI skip tooth all purpose blades 6tpi better finish in hardwoods

1/4" 6 TPI hook tooth

1/2" 3 TPI hook tooth resawing"

For ripping/resawing on my 14" Grizzly with 6" max. height, Suffolk reccomended the Timberwolf 3/4"X3 tpi blade. Most of my cutting was on aromatic red cedar and osage orange. I was dissapointed that the blade seemed to go dull almost instantly. (no exaggeration ) When I called Suffolk and asked about this they told me to expect no more than about 200 lineal feet of cutting from a blade. That was very dissapointing, it isn't even an afternoon's work. They also told me that red cedar has an abrasive effect that reduces that figure and that osage orange has high silica content that also dulls extra quickly. I'm not sure what I'll replace that blade with. I sure don't want to replace with new blades daily. Carbide isn't reccomended for a bandsaw my size. I think it is a power thing, carbide requires more power.

frank, it`s not more power required for carbide it`s larger wheels....the brazing of the tips affects the band elasticity so smaller wheeled saws can experience premature blade failure....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

For the main resawing blade, wouldn't he be better off with the widest blade his saw can accomodate (1-1/4) to minimize blade drift? Just asking. I've been thinking of getting a backup spare in case my Tri-Master ever breaks (Heaven forbid) and would have thought I'd want to use something just as wide or wider (up to the saws limit) than the TM. All the replies seem to be leaning towards 1/2" or 3/4" for the resaw blade though. ??
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/