The Mire Mansion

Chris Mire

Well that is what we jokingly call it anyway, since it will be 4 times the size of the home we rent from my inlaws at this time.

We started the house June 1st. Things are going very well so far. It has progressed far beyond these first pics, I will try to upload most of them today and tomorrow. along with a few details and a pdf of the floor plan so you can see what's going on.

Details:

2750 sqft living
4250 sqft under roof
3 bedrooms 2-1/2 baths w/ bonus room over garage
Acadian style

Exterior will be brick and hardie siding

there is plenty more details i could give but i won't bore you.

here it is being formed up for concrete

DSC_1456.JPG

DSC_1457.JPG

and here is the concrete being poured, all 155 yards of it :eek:

DSC_1474.JPG
DSC_1475.JPG
DSC_1476.JPG

i'll put some of the start of framing later.

thanks for looking
chris

ps....yes that is the future home of cutting edge wood works in the back ground, we are awaiting hook up from the power company right now.
maybe one of these days i'll get around to doing a quicky thread on it. so much going on all the time though.

Great, and very large project. I had to look up Acadian style to know what that was. Probably called many things around the country but the big front porch is a huge plus. What part of the country are you in?

Looks like the important part is done (the shop). :D

Will be interesting to see how it comes along. Building it yourself? Has there been good weather for working on it?:lurk:

Great, and very large project. I had to look up Acadian style to know what that was. Probably called many things around the country but the big front porch is a huge plus. What part of the country are you in?

he is on one of the dry spots of southern lousianna frank:) congrat chris on your new home construction..

frank, yeah i am down in south louisiana, what they call cajun country.

acadian style is very very popular here in S. La...kind of a staple in the housing market, different styles come and go, but acadian is timeless around here.

the front porch is mostly for looks, but i am sure that in the original acadian home it served a different purpose since they didn't have electricity back then and it help to provide a cooler place to....well probably drink sweet tea

Darren, funny i thought you were gonna say the slab is done, that was what worried me the most, but yeah since the shop will help pay for this thing it is just as important. I was supposed to be in that shop a long time ago, but it hasn't worked out. The weather has been great. and since the roof is on now it won't affect us too much anymore.

I am contracting the home myself, not totally building it, no way I could frame this thing.

I am also doing electrical (with the help of an electrician who designed the system), staining my concrete floors, trim work, cabinets (of course), installing cypress beadboard for porch ceilings, and a few other various items as well.

thanks larry, it feels good to finally be started

more pics in a minute

thanks
chris

got walls?

yep, what you see took them one day. they could have done more if it hadn't rained that afternoon and if the material had been on site.

DSC_1478.JPG

DSC_1481.JPG

DSC_1483.JPG

DSC_1484.JPG

DSC_1485.JPG

DSC_1486.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1480.JPG
    DSC_1480.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 42
i think that these pics were from day number 4 of framing. there were 12 guys working, and they worked from 7 to 6pm each day, with not many breaks. I am not sure how they did it.

now you can really start to see what it is supposed to look like. i wish you could have been there to see how they got those rafters up on the main roof. site built scaffolding that would have given an osha official a heart attack. one guy had the good fortune to be chosen to sit on a 2x6 30 feet in the air on that site built scaffolding. not a safe looking situation.

anyway here are some more pics....starting to look like something now

sorry for the pics my camera setting was wrong

DSC_1491.JPG

DSC_1493.JPG

DSC_1487.JPG

DSC_1488.JPG

DSC_1490-1.JPG

DSC_1492-1.JPG

DSC_1494-1.JPG

DSC_1496-1.JPG

DSC_1497-1.JPG

That's some kind of pitch on that roof. :eek: Looks like you're going with windows in front that open like doors, if so good call. Lots of old Acadians in Mississippi have (had pre Katrina) windows like that. Fronted the bay. Opened them up and windows in back to let sea breeze though to cool things down pre-AC. BTW, you are leaving an escape hatch in the roof to avoid the water, right? ;)

Congrats on the new build, Chris. Man, that framing crew wasn't messing around, were they? Looking forward to watching this one as it develops. Thanks for the pics. :thumb:

doors??

great head way chris,, how are you gettin from the main house upstairs to the upstairs in the garage area? looks like you attic area is going to be liveable space in both places?:thumb:

thanks greg, i hope the kitchen turns out great, i am going to employ a few new techniques in the building process. and finally I get to build cabinets the way i think they should be made. not what people are willing to pay for.

larry, unfortunately that big huge space over the main house is just attic. i know it seems wasted, but the floor plan would not allow a stairway in the main house to access it. i fumbled around with the plans for 3 months trying to fix the problem and couldn't do it. you see, my wife wanted a third bedroom for the kids, 4 total, it was to serve as my office for now and if the need arose and we had 3 kids it would be a bedroom for the oldest. well, the only way i could do it was to place the "bonus room" over the garage and place a stairway near the entrance from the garage. i now have a separate office up there, a big play room for the kids, and a place for my brother and his wife to stay when they visit from out of town. and it can be turned into a fourth bedroom if the need arises.

sorry that was alot of info for a simple question, the answer is, you don't access the main upstairs because it is attic, well you do access it by a door in my office. but it is not usable space.

thanks chris

Last edited:
little more progress

ok, we got a roof, windows and a few other items as well. the hardie siding is up mostly, just waiting on exterior doors to finish up.

DSC_1659.JPG

DSC_1660.JPG

DSC_1662.JPG

DSC_1665.JPG

DSC_1663.JPG

DSC_1664.JPG

the pics of the inside are from the dining room looking into the living room and at the two sided fireplace and the second one inside is in the living looking towards the kitchen (far right) and dining (far left behind fireplace)

the hall leads to the kids bedrooms and bath. that is right in front of josiah and his push car, to the right of where you see me walking in the gray shirt.

as you can see in lots of these pics the supervisor is on site in his little red car. making sure we're keeping busy. :D

as far as exterior, this is where it stands today, with the exception of some of the exterior doors. the forgot to order glass for two of the custom wood doors up front, they just came in on friday.

electrical is almost complete. I ran phone and cable today, gotta a little stapling left to do and do the door chime and some outdoor receptacles. i am almost there. i can almost smell the sheetrock. :thumb:

my pdf of the houseplan is too big by 7kb, i will try to reduce it somehow. or get it on here another way.

thanks for lookin
chris

Very impressive progress, Chris. :thumb: That's going to be a sweet place to live. If you'd like, you can e-mail the floor plan PDF to me and I'll host it on one of my sites.

Chris, you mentioned something about "staining the concrete" yourself. Did you have the concrete company put the stain in and you are going to do the final buffing and sealing? or do you have another plan? My folks are building their retirement home on our farm and the concrete for the living areas came pre-stained. Just wondering. In floor heat? Or do you folks down there even have furnaces? Great looking house, man it is taking shape!:thumb:

Wow Chris, I've been busy and haven't checked in here lately. That's a fantastic place you have going up. And talk about quick! I could have used your framing crew on my shop. I might not have taken me a year to complete!

Good luck with the rest of the project, and keep posting pics so we can all continue being envious! :thumb:

- Marty -

Chris, you mentioned something about "staining the concrete" yourself. Did you have the concrete company put the stain in and you are going to do the final buffing and sealing? or do you have another plan? My folks are building their retirement home on our farm and the concrete for the living areas came pre-stained. Just wondering. In floor heat? Or do you folks down there even have furnaces? Great looking house, man it is taking shape!:thumb:

jonathan,

I am acid staining my concrete, it is done after the pour, you spray it on and it reacts with the concrete to make colors. we are mainly doing it as a cost savings up front, we will be able to do all the floors for about $1,000 as opposed to about 18,000 or more for wood and tile. i am pretty sure we will cover it later.

for examples check out the manufacturer's website..... www.kemiko.com
we are doing "vintage umber"

marty,

Ha, you envious of me, with that big huge jam packed full of awesome tools shop you got. i think we're close to even :thumb:

by the way, i think your shop is much better built since you did it yourself. no one would have taken the time and energy you did. it's funny how you find the energy to work those long hours when it's something special to you. i am finding that out quickly.

chris