Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on RBI 12.5" Planer for sale

Trinity County - 160 miles north of San Francisco. Redwood forest.

Opinions on RBI 12.5" Planer for sale

I have the chance to buy a RBI 12.5" Planer. I've never seen nor heard of this manufacturer, so I'm asking your opinions.

The thing is almost brand new, used by a WW hobbyist, and has a 2hp 220v Baldor Motor. The motor alone is worth what the guy is asking ($400). I was a little worried about the 12.5" capacity, but that only shows my relative ignorance of woodworking. I know I'm not going to be working on 18" hardwood planks.

Anyone have experience on these matters?

Gary Curtis

I don't know anything about RBI products. But one comparison might be the Grizzly G0505. I have one and can testify that it is a hard workin' hoss. And, it is rated at 2 hp.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-1-2-Planer/G0505

Much less money too.

Gary
    RBI and Woodmaster is a direct shoot off of Foley Bellsaw and are great machines I had an 18" Woodmaster which is a dead ringer for RBI and used it for over 6 years in my production shop and then sold it for almost what I paid for it. At $400 I would jump on it quick
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I don't know anything about RBI products. But one comparison might be the Grizzly G0505. I have one and can testify that it is a hard workin' hoss. And, it is rated at 2 hp.

Much less money too.
    Frank, I'm afraid the "2 hp" motor in that Grizzly is not in the same league as a true 2 hp Baldor motor. At 15 amps 110v, the best that little universal motor is putting out is 1.5 hp, and I seriously doubt it's that efficient. Under ideal conditions with maximum efficiency, you can get about 1 hp per 10 amps at 110v. No way can you get 2 hp out of a 110v motor. The Griz might still be a great planer, but for them to say it's 2 hp is stretching things. (It's not uncommon, though...many of us have a "2" or "3" hp router that plugs into a 110v wall outlet.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Frank, I'm afraid the "2 hp" motor in that Grizzly is not in the same league as a true 2 hp Baldor motor. At 15 amps 110v, the best that little universal motor is putting out is 1.5 hp, and I seriously doubt it's that efficient. Under ideal conditions with maximum efficiency, you can get about 1 hp per 10 amps at 110v. No way can you get 2 hp out of a 110v motor. The Griz might still be a great planer, but for them to say it's 2 hp is stretching things. (It's not uncommon, though...many of us have a "2" or "3" hp router that plugs into a 110v wall outlet.)
    Just like the mega HP shop vacs from Sears.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Much less money too.
    You must have got lucky and got a good one Frank. I bought one and after the second board I sold it with only 2 blades and underpowered it just burned up the belt. I had a Transpower that looked like it but it had 3 blades and I planed with it for about 5 year too and it was a great planer I ran many thousand board feet through it and never did slip a belt. The Grizzly planer is not in the same league as the RBI not even close.
    Jay

buy it!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I've seen the horsepower discussions many times in the past. That's why I qualified with my observations that "it is a working' hoss" and the Griz claim that it is "rated" at 2 hp. Very confusing. But, it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    You must have got lucky and got a good one Frank. I bought one and after the second board I sold it with only 2 blades and underpowered it just burned up the belt. I had a Transpower that looked like it but it had 3 blades and I planed with it for about 5 year too and it was a great planer I ran many thousand board feet through it and never did slip a belt. The Grizzly planer is not in the same league as the RBI not even close.
    Jay
    Jay, I would have trotted it right back to Grizzly. Sorry you had problems. Mine takes wood off like it's angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I've seen the horsepower discussions many times in the past. That's why I qualified with my observations that "it is a working' hoss" and the Griz claim that it is "rated" at 2 hp. Very confusing. But, it works for me.
    frank, the motor on the rbi weighs more than your whole planer.......
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]