Thought I'd share some pics of the cutting board I made as a present (again, hats off the Vaughn for the idea and the tutorial!
It's maple, cherry, and lacewood for the accent. Finished piece is 24" by 12". It soaked overnight in a mineral oil bath, and sweated back oil for a day... looks like it's done sweating now. Last pic is of the oil bath setup: a plastic trash bag framed with 2x4 scraps...
Thanks, Vaughn! An update to the tutorial: I didn't use bisquits for the glueup, but it doesn't seem to matter. I did use lots of glue! The lace wood especially drank it up, so I developed a procedure where I'd rub the glue in, let it sit while I did the next one, then went back and apply more glue. I didn't want starved joints! I didn't have a good clamping strategy (just have bar clamps). So I cut a plywood scrap slightly undersized, put a generous coat of wax on it, and used that on top of the clamps and underneath the workpiece. Had to pop it off with a chisel, but it worked. Also, I didn't do the glueup in sections, did it all at once instead. Saved some time, and didn't hurt anything (fingers still crossed on that one). Trust me on this next one: it is NOT a good idea to put the framed piece through the planer: the planer knives will hit the back edge square, rip it off, and send it flying. Yikes! Also, went all the way up to 600 with the sanding... it was worth the extra time!