Made a cutting board

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

Thought I'd share some pics of the cutting board I made as a present (again, hats off the Vaughn for the idea and the tutorial!

board 003 (Medium).jpg

board 004 (Medium).jpg

board 005 (Medium).jpg

board 006 (Medium).jpg

It's maple, cherry, and lacewood for the accent. Finished piece is 24" by 12". It soaked overnight in a mineral oil bath, and sweated back oil for a day... looks like it's done sweating now. Last pic is of the oil bath setup: a plastic trash bag framed with 2x4 scraps... ;)

Thanks, Vaughn! An update to the tutorial: I didn't use bisquits for the glueup, but it doesn't seem to matter. I did use lots of glue! The lace wood especially drank it up, so I developed a procedure where I'd rub the glue in, let it sit while I did the next one, then went back and apply more glue. I didn't want starved joints! I didn't have a good clamping strategy (just have bar clamps). So I cut a plywood scrap slightly undersized, put a generous coat of wax on it, and used that on top of the clamps and underneath the workpiece. Had to pop it off with a chisel, but it worked. Also, I didn't do the glueup in sections, did it all at once instead. Saved some time, and didn't hurt anything (fingers still crossed on that one). Trust me on this next one: it is NOT a good idea to put the framed piece through the planer: the planer knives will hit the back edge square, rip it off, and send it flying. Yikes! Also, went all the way up to 600 with the sanding... it was worth the extra time!

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Bill,

Great Job on the Cutting Board! :thumb:

The lacewood accent adds alot to the board. How thick is the board?

At some point I am going to give the "Vaughn design" a try. I hope it comes out as good as yours did.

The lacewood accent adds alot to the board. How thick is the board?

Sean,

It started life as 4/4 stock. I'd wanted it to finish up as 3/4, but after *many* trips through the planer it ended up 5/8" thick. Oh, well, the recipient will never know! ;)

I used titebond III for the glue, figuring that at some point it'll get accidentally wet. I was worried the wood would expand from being soaked in the mineral oil, and it would burst apart, but it seems to have held up. I'm glad I forced glue into the end grain fibers, and then reapplied the glue!

Thanks,

Bill

Beautiful piece of art there, once again, things that nice, would hate to put cut marks on. Just hang on the wall, you already took care of the framing with that good looking lacewood. :thumb:

Tom