Too many projects!

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

While I was taking pics of the cutting board, I noticed what a mess the shop has become. This always happens when I have too many projects at once, especially when some of the projects are in the house or, as now, outside. I've got a full day of rearranging and clean up some time soon!

board 007 (Medium).jpg

board 008 (Medium).jpg

board 006 (Medium).jpg

What a mess! I post these so that others will feel better about their (minor) state of disorder! :rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

hi bill ,

first off , that cutting board is beatiful :thumb::D

second, my shop was close to yours yesterday but i finally couldn't stand it anymore . i spent a couple of hours getting it back to somewhat normal. no pics because it isn't that far along yet .....just workable again :rofl:

Too many projects

Funny, my shop looks like that or worse, and I am only working on one pro-
ject. Oddly enough, the project that I am working on is one designed to help
me clean up my shop. It is a mobile tool cart built to the same dimensions as
my tablesaw. It is designed to hold most of my hand-held power tools and
many of my hand tools. It will also serve as an outfeed table for my table-
saw.

If it wasn't for that beatiful cutting board I would have thought that you sneaked in mine to take the pics. The last plane I made two days ago I was using the table saw as a place to leave things and make the glue-ups and take the pics.

Today I just cleaned and tidied the mess...

Looks like a normal, working shop, Bill. As a mutual friend out West would say...yours is a GO shop, not a ShOW shop! :D

BTW, that cutting board is awesome!

Heck, if I don't have to move at least a dozen pieces of scrap and/or assorted tools from the bench to make room for what ever I'm doing, I think I must be in someone else's shop.

Those outdoor projects do create a lot of mess. I't take me a couple more weeks of "topping off" the trash can on trash day to clear out the rest of the leftovers from the pergola project.

Great board. My shop phases in and out of 'orderly' as I'm doing projects. I have a rolling worktable that is my landing pad for all the stuff I use during one phase of a project or the other. This surface gets cleared off (things put away) between phases. Sometimes though the whole place just goes up for grabs and a major 'fall-back and regroup' is required. The indicator for me is when I turn around to set something down and there is no flat surface avaiable. Its just the natural order of things in my shop ;-)

Last edited:
Ditto here. Mine gets its worst when unexpected things come up while i'm in the middle of another couple of projects. I was in the middle of rebuilding a shaper, two motors, and some general house maintenance chores when the lawn mower conked out and my Dad dragged a small pile of lumber over to be jointed and planed. I'm also mid stride on some built-in casework for the dining room - the cabinet carcasses are standing in a corner of the shop.
cabinet pieces, mower parts, motor parts, shaper parts. Sounds like i need a kegerator to cope with the situation.
Paul Hubbman

OK, since no one else has asked, what is living in those homemade black plastic "buckets" in the third picture? At least it looks like there is water and something alive in them. :huh: :dunno:

I have a few places that I try to keep somewhat cleared off, but that's usually so they can get piled with tools and such while I'm in progress on something. I try to neaten up between projects, but as someone else mentioned, when I get busy with multiple projects all bets are off.

That all said, my version of "clean" would drive some neat freaks up the wall. Bill, your shop just looks like you're building stuff. Sign of a healthy right brain, IMHO. (I tell people I play in the shop after work to exercise the other side of my brain.)