As many of you know, I recently spent three weeks in Arkansas helping tod build new living quarters. Well, when I got back home I wasn't ready to dive back into "IT", so I took a few hours and built a set of shelves for the closet in Denise's office:
Denise really likes the wild grain in the Paduak I picked up when I was building the shop, so she had me use some for the shelf faces and uprights.
Well...Denise liked the shelves so much that she made another request...
Her garden has been such a success that she's started canning LOTS of veggies. Storing all these jars was becoming a problem. She saw her new office shelves and realized that the design I used would be perfect for a new pantry!
Here's what we started with:
The original owners of the house had installed your typical cheap borg plastic coated wire shelving above the washer and dryer and on the rear wall. Unfortunately, they didn't hit a single stud when they installed it, so the shelves were...to be polite...less than sturdy!
(Denise had already started emptying the shelves in anticipation of her new shelving when I got around to taking that picture. )
Last Sunday I spent a few minutes in Sketchup and came up with designs and measurements that met with Denise's approval. She left for a week long business trip and I went out to the shop to get busy.
First, I built the shelves...3/4" MDF edged with Paduak, along with 3" wide 7/8" thick 8' high Paduak uprights:
I glued and screwed braces on the back side of the uprights where Denise decided she wanted shelves. Between those braces, and 3" wide ledgers of 3/4" MDF screwed directly into the studs along the wall supporting the shelves, I figured they would be plenty stout!
With the shelves taken care of, it was time to replace that cheap plastic shelf unit on the left wall. Denise wanted a better place to hang clothes as they came out of the dryer, so I built her this:
Again, using her choice of Paduak, I glued up a 13" wide, 7/8" thick shelf, added 1 3/4" thick corbels that I notched to accept a ledger and drilled to accept a closet pole. Now we'd have someplace better to hang clothes as we took them outta the dryer!
I still needed to do something about that last wire shelf over the washer and dryer...
Here's what I came up with:
Again using Paduak, I made a 5' long 3' high cabinet. I had some English Walnut Burl veneer that was too skinny for my original use, so I decided to book match it on the raised panel doors. I think it came out pretty nice...in spite of the wild grain pattern of the Paduak behind it:
I got the cabinet installed last Thursday...quite an excercise since I was alone...but just in time since Denise came home on Friday!
We still have to finish moving stuff into the cabinets...(the 10 coats of lacquer were still curing)...but all in all I think she's pleased with the facelift I gave our pantry:
Oh, and sorry to all you turners...NOT A SINGLE SPINNY THING IN PROJECT!
Thanks for looking...
- Marty -
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…