Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pantry facelift...

Pantry facelift...

As many of you know, I recently spent three weeks in Arkansas helping tod build new living quarters. Well, when I got back home I wasn't ready to dive back into "IT", so I took a few hours and built a set of shelves for the closet in Denise's office:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020260.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	22383

Denise really likes the wild grain in the Paduak I picked up when I was building the shop, so she had me use some for the shelf faces and uprights.

Well...Denise liked the shelves so much that she made another request...

Her garden has been such a success that she's started canning LOTS of veggies. Storing all these jars was becoming a problem. She saw her new office shelves and realized that the design I used would be perfect for a new pantry!

Here's what we started with:

Name:	DSCN9069.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	22384

The original owners of the house had installed your typical cheap borg plastic coated wire shelving above the washer and dryer and on the rear wall. Unfortunately, they didn't hit a single stud when they installed it, so the shelves were...to be polite...less than sturdy!

(Denise had already started emptying the shelves in anticipation of her new shelving when I got around to taking that picture. )

Last Sunday I spent a few minutes in Sketchup and came up with designs and measurements that met with Denise's approval. She left for a week long business trip and I went out to the shop to get busy.

First, I built the shelves...3/4" MDF edged with Paduak, along with 3" wide 7/8" thick 8' high Paduak uprights:

Name:	DSCN9068.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	22385

I glued and screwed braces on the back side of the uprights where Denise decided she wanted shelves. Between those braces, and 3" wide ledgers of 3/4" MDF screwed directly into the studs along the wall supporting the shelves, I figured they would be plenty stout!

With the shelves taken care of, it was time to replace that cheap plastic shelf unit on the left wall. Denise wanted a better place to hang clothes as they came out of the dryer, so I built her this:

Name:	DSCN9085.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	22386.......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9086.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	22387

Again, using her choice of Paduak, I glued up a 13" wide, 7/8" thick shelf, added 1 3/4" thick corbels that I notched to accept a ledger and drilled to accept a closet pole. Now we'd have someplace better to hang clothes as we took them outta the dryer!

I still needed to do something about that last wire shelf over the washer and dryer...

Name:	P1020265.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	22392

Here's what I came up with:

Name:	DSCN9116.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	22388.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9118.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	22389

Again using Paduak, I made a 5' long 3' high cabinet. I had some English Walnut Burl veneer that was too skinny for my original use, so I decided to book match it on the raised panel doors. I think it came out pretty nice...in spite of the wild grain pattern of the Paduak behind it:

Name:	P1020273.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	22390

I got the cabinet installed last Thursday...quite an excercise since I was alone...but just in time since Denise came home on Friday!

We still have to finish moving stuff into the cabinets...(the 10 coats of lacquer were still curing)...but all in all I think she's pleased with the facelift I gave our pantry:

Name:	DSCN9122.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	22391

Oh, and sorry to all you turners...NOT A SINGLE SPINNY THING IN PROJECT!

Thanks for looking...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Those both look terrific. Much better. The pantry is one of the keys to saving money around here. Buy big and store neatly. The downside is the sticker shock when you finally need ziplock bags again ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh View Post
    I took a few hours and built a set of shelves for the closet in Denise's office ....
    She saw her new office shelves and realized that the design I used would be perfect for a new pantry!
    all in all I think she's pleased with the facelift I gave our pantry:
    Great Job, Marty. VERY nice grain on that shelf opposite the dryer. Almost a shame to put stuff on it.

It sure is satisfying turning a "plain/stock" room in a house into a custom job.

Any reason you didn't rip down the wire shelf in the top of the office closet? I kind of thought you would.

thanks for showing us the results
    ...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

once again

you have gone and done it marty turned a ordinary cabinet into a piece of art that looks great marty,, can almost taste the veggies in there.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Great job Marty! someone would say too beatiful to be in a pantry but don't pantries and laundry rooms deserve the same treatment as the rest of the house? I would say YES!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

cool!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Toni,

I'm with you. Why should a pantry not get the same attention one would pay to the rest of the house? Now if only I had the time and money to pay that attention to the rest of the house!!!!

Art,

Denise wanted that upper shelf left in place. It's much wider/deeper than the wooden ones I created for her, and is intended to hold seldom used, larger and bulkier (albeit light weight) items.

Larry,

Notice all those jars on the center two shelves in the pantry. That's only a SMALL portion of what Denise has been putting up. There's pickles and relish, and Jalapeno peppers, and pickled Okra, and, and, and...the list goes on.

In fact, I shot this picture last night after Denise got done with ONE DAY of picking peppers from her garden:

Name:	DSCN9124.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	22393

I think there's going to be a few VERY POTENT jars on those shelves very soon. That pile has Habanero, Serano, Jalapeno, Cubanelle, Tabasco, and Chile peppers in it. (The watermelon is desert... )

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

with that

much natural heat layin there on the stove marty you anit gonna need no gas or electric..that mix is one hot commodity.. i hope she wears gloves to process them some folk get burned puttin them up from the juices in them.. tell the canner i said hey and great job on her green thumb
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I look all through those shelves and didnt see any of this to chase those peppers with.

Randy

Name:	CrownRoyal-Special-Reserve-lq_jpg.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	22394

Looks good. Wish I had cabinets that nice.