Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Popcorn is for eating, not for ceilings!

Popcorn is for eating, not for ceilings!

Good grief I hate popcorn ceilings. Never-the-less, I've sworn to remove them from every room in my house, one ceiling at a time. Two rooms down, working on the third now. Can't wait to finish. For those doubters, pictures coming soon.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

We had those things on every ceiling - even the kitchen(!) - in our first California house. It took several years to get the time and ambitions to get ALL OF IT removed. What a messy job! I feel your pain...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

We have popcorn ceilings in most of the rooms in our house, but I figure we'll sell this place before I have the time or energy to re-do the ceilings. You're either a brave man, or a glutton for punishment, Rennie.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

We don't see popcorn ceilings in the east so much. What we do have though, is 12"x12" tile or suspended ceilings. The old joke where I formerly worked used to be "Make every room in your house look like the basement - install a Armstrong ceiling!

But I digress. How about inviting your new neighbors over for a movie night - and they can serve themselves popcorn!

Oh, it's getting late and I'm telling really bad jokes - and laughing at them - time for bed.

Just dive in and get it done - that's a job that can't be done with any finesse.

Good luck,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel View Post
    We don't see popcorn ceilings in the east so much. What we do have though, is 12"x12" tile or suspended ceilings. The old joke where I formerly worked used to be "Make every room in your house look like the basement - install a Armstrong ceiling! Wes
    I grew up in NJ (exit 123, then, later, 88). The other thing we saw little of (though I think this has changes) is smooth walls - no texturing. I think drywallers back east took more pride in their work - and all those years of plaster got people used to smooth hard surfaces.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    We had those things on every ceiling - even the kitchen(!) - in our first California house. It took several years to get the time and ambitions to get ALL OF IT removed. What a messy job! I feel your pain...
    Kitchen!?!?
    Our kitchen and bath are done in a knock-down texture. Popcorn is just too susceptible to moisture to be used in those areas. I thought.

When I get to the baths and kitchen I'll probably screw up some 1/4" sheet rock rather than try and skim the ceiling. Taking down the current ceilings is not an option as we have blown in cellulose insulation in the attic space. What a mess that would be!

www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    We have popcorn ceilings in most of the rooms in our house, but I figure we'll sell this place before I have the time or energy to re-do the ceilings. You're either a brave man, or a glutton for punishment, Rennie.
    The latter, it think.

www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Kitchen!?!?
    Our kitchen and bath are done in a knock-down texture. Popcorn is just too susceptible to moisture to be used in those areas. I thought....
    The kitchen was an absolute mess! It was the first (and worst) to remove. It had about thirty years of moisture and cooking grease embedded in it, and had been painted over several times. I think previous owner(s) used Kilz, or something similar, to seal in the mess prior to painting over. It was a real job to get it off,

The bedrooms, living room, etc. were better (easier), but still a lot of work and mess.

Have at it Rennie. I'm glad it's you, and not me (again) doing it!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Just remember to wear a mask. stuff of it had/has absetos(sp?) in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    Just remember to wear a mask. stuff of it had/has asbestos in it.
    Sound advice - but I believe mine to be no more than Styrofoam, or something close like vermiculite, and latex paint.

www.wrworkshop.com