Thread: Arbor Installed - Finally

Arbor Installed - Finally

Well, Ive been attempting to get a few projects done around the house. Believe it or not, I actually did cut up some wood! No fine woodworking here. Just a bit of wood butchering.
    We have wanted to visually divide the yard from the driveway for a while, and had never been able to come to a decision as to what to do. Well, last fall, Kmart had a bunch of summer/outdoor stuff on closeout. Not the highest quality items, but good enough to give us a feel for what we will want in the long run.
    The arbor (as seen in the center) was only $14 so I got two. They are made of cedar but to be safe, I did repaint them. One was left in stock form, and the other was cut-up to create the wings. I used my EZ Smart guide and circular saw since some of the wood was less that straight. The wings were assembled with pocket screws and Titebond III. I did upgrade the hardware on the stock arbor to thru carriage bolts versus the original threaded inserts.
    It still needs some touch-up on the paint, and the landscaping finished around it (was thinking a few large pots with climbers of some sort to hide it). But the major construction is done. Im not sure how long it will last, but I think it will give us enough experience to know what Ill need to build if anything. Oh, and LOML is happy.
    Thanks for looking, any comments/criticisms or suggestions for the future are welcome.

PS Sam thought he should be in one picture for scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails arbor 010sm.jpg   arbor 008sm.jpg   arbor 006sm.jpg   arbor 004sm.jpg   arbor 007sm.jpg  

ABQ NM
    That worked out nicely, Wes. For $28, you'd have a hard time buying the raw materials.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Alexandria, Virginia
    I agree, nice scale, and a very nice transition from driveway to backyard.

Constantine, MI
    Looks good Wes! Nice job!
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk

Floydada, Tx
    Very nice. I am sure that will earn you a few points.

Thanks for being kind guys. I know the set-up is kinda cheesy, but I think it will serve the purpose. I can see already the next (final?) iteration will have a wider walk-thru to accommodate any stuff that needs to go into the yard from the driveway. Kind of a trade-off between function and aesthetics (blocking the view of the cars.) A lot of the "design" was dictated by the size of the original pieces on hand.

My big mistake was painting it with a brush - what a pain. For the purpose, I should have let it go and just touched up the cut pieces - but nooo.

I figure a few years from now I'll be looking harder at what will replace this. That is if this one lasts that long.