Well, I’ve been attempting to get a few projects done around the house. Believe it or not, I actually did cut up some wood! No fine woodworking here. Just a bit of wood butchering.
We have wanted to visually divide the yard from the driveway for a while, and had never been able to come to a decision as to what to do. Well, last fall, Kmart had a bunch of summer/outdoor stuff on closeout. Not the highest quality items, but good enough to give us a feel for what we will want in the long run.
The arbor (as seen in the center) was only $14 so I got two. They are made of “cedar” but to be safe, I did repaint them. One was left in stock form, and the other was cut-up to create the wings. I used my EZ Smart guide and circular saw since some of the wood was less that straight. The wings were assembled with pocket screws and Titebond III. I did upgrade the hardware on the stock arbor to thru carriage bolts versus the original threaded inserts.
It still needs some touch-up on the paint, and the landscaping finished around it (was thinking a few large pots with climbers of some sort to hide it). But the major construction is done. I’m not sure how long it will last, but I think it will give us enough experience to know what I’ll need to build – if anything. Oh, and LOML is happy.
Thanks for looking, any comments/criticisms or suggestions for the future are welcome.
PS Sam thought he should be in one picture for scale.