I want a stuffed animal!!

Seems to be a new trend, next to this video there are several other with other kids doing the same.

Advantages of being small and flexible:D:D

As I mentioned on another forum where I saw this video, it seems a shame she went to all that work and didn't get a toy. :p

On the other hand...that's some fine parenting going on there, huh? :rolleyes: Kids that age should never be out of their parents' sight in public, IMHO.

I once rescued a kid (maybe a year or so older than the one in the video) at Universal Studios Citywalk here in LA. This kid was playing around at the bottom of a long outdoor escalator, and she decided to grab the moving handrail on the outside of the escalator. Before she knew what was happening, she was pulled off the ground and was headed towards the top, about 30 feet high. While a large crowd just stood around gawking with their thumbs up their collective rears, I ran up the escalator, reached over the rail, and lifted the kid to safety before she fell (at that point, about 20 feet, onto concrete).

When I brought the kid (by now in tears) down the return escalator, her mom was giving me the evil eye, as if I'd tried to steal her kid. (Granted, I'm not the most respectable-looking guy you'll ever see.) Even after the kid's older brother told the mom "That man saved her life", she still looked at me as if I was a pedophile. She didn't thank me at all. I just wanted to smack the mom and congratulate her on her parenting skills.

Yes, I can see that happening more and more around here. Specially at pools and beaches.

Just today there was report o the news of two kid drowned at two different public pools, the day before yesterday another kid drowned at a beach.

In all cases they were with their parents, but it seems that the parents where more interested in chatting or other things than looking after their children.

The amount of kids getting disoriented and lost in beaches is increasing day by day, my suggestion to those parents would be: If you are too lazy to care for your kids DO NOT HAVE THEM.

Gee Vaughn, I just looked up "****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't" in the dictionary and there was a link to your post. That was a nice thing you did; sorry to hear some people can't recognize an act of kindness when it smacks them in the face.

Note: When I posted the above, the software changed my letters. The asterisks above are d a m n e d.

Last edited:
What's even scarier to me is the number of people who just stand there and gawk instead of doing something.

A couple months back the neighbor's 12 year old somewhat autistic child was home alone (yeah, I know) and had sustained some pretty severe lacerations to his hands when he'd tried to manually close the overhead garage door by jumping up to grab the bottom ledge. He came to our front door and while I applied pressure to slow the bleeding (found later that he also had a coagulation issue), the LOML called 911. Anyway, EMS and the FD got there and took over.

I didn't think that we had done anything beyond the norm, but when the LOML told some folks at church what I'd done in rendering aid, they all acted like I was some sort of hero. What I did was not heroic, it was simple civic duty. What Vaughn did was civic duty. What those other folks did by standing there gawking was a moral crime. I won't say what I think about the parents of either of the kids in these instances.

You're right, Frank. There's just no helping some people.

By the way, the word you were trying to use is one of several that are not allowed due to the "no profanity" rule here. (As are "hieroglyphics" in lieu of cursing, too.) Part of the "Family Friendly" philosophy. ;) The forum CoC explains it a bit more.

I will say this, a two year old can get into some trouble pretty darn fast. For awhile there my wife was saying "Honey you were right there, didn't you see Alyson getting into that"...until it started happening to her. They are fast.

Now I am on stealth mode. If the toys are banging, the noisy toy makers are going off, and she is singing to herself or talking to her teddy bears, I know all is well in the world, but when there is silence...that is when I panic.

As for the gawkers Vaughn, the did a study on one of those news shows a few years back and 9 out of 10 people would not help a child posing as a lost, crying 8 year old. They are just too afraid they would get accused of something. Now that is a shame.

Still the best one had to be the parent of a 4 year old that sued Burger King when it died at one of their inside playgrounds by getting strangled on a safety netting thing. My wife was like "where was the parents? It would take awhile for that to happen." Well the parent was an employee of Burger King and using the indoor playground as a baby sitter. In my honest opinion, Burger King was not to blame there.

unfortunately, kids getting into trouble are not always without the parents knowing.
Years back I got a call from NYC Police dept, a tenant above my business saw two teenagers carrying merchandise off a lower roof of my business.
Police were amazed that the tennagers only cut something like an eight inch hole and lowered a very skinny 8 or 9 y/o down the hole on a rope.
Ofcourse, they couldnt get the kid back up and thats where I got the call.