Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Shop Fox 1677 Cabinet Saw Is Here!

Thumbs up My New Shop Fox 1677 Cabinet Saw Is Here!

Here's a "practice" gloat while I wait for my new saw to arrive! $903 with free shipping.

This is more saw than I really need....it's a "want" vs a "need" for sure. I wasn't actively shopping for a saw, but I'm always on the lookout for a great deal. When I got up Saturday morning, the Microsoft Cashback discount was up to 25%, plus I'd gotten a 10% Ebay discount code in an email Friday night. I found the Shop Fox W1677 on Ebay from Utterguys for $1253 with free shipping. The MS discount allowed up to $250 off, and the Ebay discount allowed up to $100....then the caffeine from my coffee kicked in and I got a wild idea to buy a big boy saw! I told my wife I would be within $300 if I sold my 22124. The tool fund will cover some of the "deficit".

The 22124 sold for $600 within a day and will be gone by Thursday, and the 1677 should be here Friday. I still need to sell a couple of other tools to cover the gap, but we're whittling it down. I will miss the 22124, but am definitely looking forward to putting the SF to work. Actual pics to follow!

Last edited by scott spencer; 07-26-2008 at 02:39 AM.
    Got Wood?

Way cool. Congrats!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Great deal! I hope it lives up to all of your expectations. Oh, BTW, pictures upon arrival?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

You're really gonna like that saw! I've had mine for about six years now, and still can't say enough good things about it.

I did a short review of it just after I got it, and my opinion has only gotten better over the years..
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

You negotiated well, both on-line and off-line.
    Great saw, I'm sure you will enjoy.

Thanks for the encouragement gents! Real pics will definitely follow.

Jim - Nice review. Can you tell me if the inserts are the same size as those on a Unisaw? If so, the inserts for my 22124 will fit. Also, do you know if it's easy to slide the front rail tube over to gain a few more inches of rip capacity?
    Got Wood?

Jim's right--you're going to love it! Mine is essentially the same saw, but with longer rails. It's a great saw.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    ....Jim - Nice review. Can you tell me if the inserts are the same size as those on a Unisaw? If so, the inserts for my 22124 will fit. Also, do you know if it's easy to slide the front rail tube over to gain a few more inches of rip capacity?
    I'm not sure about the inserts.

As for the fence - moving it is easy. The front tube is held to the angle iron by about half a dozen self-tapping screws on the underside. Just remove the screws, and move the tube over by one hole. That'll give you just a tad over 36" of rip capacity. Of course, you'll need to install a new measuring tape on the tube. Lee Valley has them for around five bucks.

For a couple hundred bucks (!) you can also buy the seven foot rail set that'll give you 52" of rip capacity. I've never seen the need for the longer rails, since I break down plywood, etc. using my EZ system.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    I'm not sure about the inserts.

As for the fence - moving it is easy. The front tube is held to the angle iron by about half a dozen self-tapping screws on the underside. Just remove the screws, and move the tube over by one hole. That'll give you just a tad over 36" of rip capacity. Of course, you'll need to install a new measuring tape on the tube. Lee Valley has them for around five bucks.

For a couple hundred bucks (!) you can also buy the seven foot rail set that'll give you 52" of rip capacity. I've never seen the need for the longer rails, since I break down plywood, etc. using my EZ system.
    Thanks Jim! For a couple hundred bucks, I'll slide the rails over, and take my wife and family out for dinner!
    Got Wood?

Congrats, Scott. That's a great deal. I know I like my Shop Fox bandsaw, and I suspect the table saw is in the same league.

Pics on arrival are, of course, mandatory.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com