My New Shop Fox 1677 Cabinet Saw Is Here!

scott spencer

Here's a "practice" gloat while I wait for my new saw to arrive! $903 with free shipping.

This is more saw than I really need....it's a "want" vs a "need" for sure. I wasn't actively shopping for a saw, but I'm always on the lookout for a great deal. When I got up Saturday morning, the Microsoft Cashback discount was up to 25%, plus I'd gotten a 10% Ebay discount code in an email Friday night. I found the Shop Fox W1677 on Ebay from Utterguys for $1253 with free shipping. The MS discount allowed up to $250 off, and the Ebay discount allowed up to $100....then the caffeine from my coffee kicked in and I got a wild idea to buy a big boy saw! I told my wife I would be within $300 if I sold my 22124. The tool fund will cover some of the "deficit".

The 22124 sold for $600 within a day and will be gone by Thursday, and the 1677 should be here Friday. I still need to sell a couple of other tools to cover the gap, but we're whittling it down. I will miss the 22124, but am definitely looking forward to putting the SF to work. Actual pics to follow! :thumb:

t_33838_01.jpg

Last edited:
You're really gonna like that saw! I've had mine for about six years now, and still can't say enough good things about it.

I did a short review of it just after I got it, and my opinion has only gotten better over the years..

Thanks for the encouragement gents! Real pics will definitely follow. :thumb:

Jim - Nice review. Can you tell me if the inserts are the same size as those on a Unisaw? If so, the inserts for my 22124 will fit. Also, do you know if it's easy to slide the front rail tube over to gain a few more inches of rip capacity?

....Jim - Nice review. Can you tell me if the inserts are the same size as those on a Unisaw? If so, the inserts for my 22124 will fit. Also, do you know if it's easy to slide the front rail tube over to gain a few more inches of rip capacity?

I'm not sure about the inserts.

As for the fence - moving it is easy. The front tube is held to the angle iron by about half a dozen self-tapping screws on the underside. Just remove the screws, and move the tube over by one hole. That'll give you just a tad over 36" of rip capacity. Of course, you'll need to install a new measuring tape on the tube. Lee Valley has them for around five bucks.

For a couple hundred bucks (!) you can also buy the seven foot rail set that'll give you 52" of rip capacity. I've never seen the need for the longer rails, since I break down plywood, etc. using my EZ system.

I'm not sure about the inserts.

As for the fence - moving it is easy. The front tube is held to the angle iron by about half a dozen self-tapping screws on the underside. Just remove the screws, and move the tube over by one hole. That'll give you just a tad over 36" of rip capacity. Of course, you'll need to install a new measuring tape on the tube. Lee Valley has them for around five bucks.

For a couple hundred bucks (!) you can also buy the seven foot rail set that'll give you 52" of rip capacity. I've never seen the need for the longer rails, since I break down plywood, etc. using my EZ system.

Thanks Jim! For a couple hundred bucks, I'll slide the rails over, and take my wife and family out for dinner! :D

Congrats, Scott. That's a great deal. I know I like my Shop Fox bandsaw, and I suspect the table saw is in the same league.

Pics on arrival are, of course, mandatory. :p

The real McCoy

Well, the driver showed up on time and loaded it in the garage for me...he was a wwer too and was pretty interested in the saw. He wouldn't take a $10 tip but he did accept a nearly new box of chisels.

Ever notice that you need a saw to properly setup a saw? :huh: I removed the cosmoline with engine degreaser and it worked like a charm. Here's the first installment of real pics....more to come as time allows and progress dictates...

100_0252.jpg

Wow, paint me green with envy :D

When I was in Canada, I went to a speciality tool shop, and drooled all over their General, Delta, SawStop etc big cabinet saws, also the Rigid Hybrid saw.......... but seriously, I'd have to trim the rails to get the darn things to fit in to the Dungeon :doh:

Nice saw for sure, look forward to seeing your build :thumb:

More pics...

Wow, paint me green with envy :D

When I was in Canada, I went to a speciality tool shop, and drooled all over their General, Delta, SawStop etc big cabinet saws, also the Rigid Hybrid saw.......... but seriously, I'd have to trim the rails to get the darn things to fit in to the Dungeon :doh:

Nice saw for sure, look forward to seeing your build :thumb:

Yeah Stuart, but you get the best sushi and blow fish in the world! (if you're into that sort of thing! :D) When did Ridgid come out with a hybrid? (been waiting for that to happen for a while, as they're the last of the big guns to not offer one.)

Pic Update: This will about it for today as we've got company coming for dinner, and the garage looks like a bomb went off. Needed the saw to cut the platform on the mobile base, so it's running but far from trimmed out. Still need to hook up the switch, DC, align it, bring it with the level of the workbench, and have much more work to finish install the router table and a new outfeed.

100_0253.jpg
100_0254.jpg

Last edited:
Its coming along. Looking good. We all know that all the work involved in fussing a new tool into the shop is really a lot of fun no matter how much work it is ;-) I'm really enjoying the progress shots.

.... Needed the saw to cut the platform on the mobile base, so it's running but far from trimmed out. Still need to hook up the switch, DC, align it, bring it with the level of the workbench, and have much more work to finish install the router table and a new outfeed.

Whose mobile base is that? It sure doesn't look like the SF base that came with mine. :huh:

Actually, it looks like it might be a bit easier to move thant the SF base. My main complaint with that one is the small wheels, and also the 'screw down' method of parking the base in place.

The base really isn't a big deal, though, since I hardly ever move the saw now. When I lived in SoCal, it was a big deal, though. My shop was the garage, shared with washer/dryer/water heater, and furnace, so I had to move every tool in the place for access. You know: Move the saw to use the jointer; move the jointer to use the planer, move the planer to use the mini lathe...ad nauseum.

Hi Jim - That's the base I bought with my 22124 that's no longer available. It's much like the Woodcraft base. I don't move my saw much either but like to have the ability. My main focus will be getting all the surfaces at the same height, but I may come up with some a bit more elegant than this someday....:rolleyes:

This morning's doings...

Looks like I'll be heading to a later Mass this morning because I got sidetracked first thing today!

I added the Wixey digital read out that my best friend gave me in March. I opted to only use half the rail which gives 30" digital capability...the full two section 60" would have alot more overhang and my fence only goes to 36", so I'll have read the old fashion way for over 30".
rolleyes.gif
...it's great having a generous friend who's also a wwer!
biggrin.gif

100_0255.jpg

Last edited:
... I added the Wixey digital read out that my best friend gave me in March...

Great friend you have there!

I've been toying with adding one of those to my saw. I have the one for the planer, mounted on my Delta 15", and like it, but haven't decided whether I 'need' one for the saw, yet.

Let us know how you like it after you've used it for a while.