Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Jointers....

Speaking of Jointers....

I have been back and forth with the guy on this jointer for a few months now. My biggest problem was it was going to cost more in gas and motels than he wanted for the jointer. Looks like it may be possible for it to hitch a ride near me with some other machinery. I think that is a distinct possibility. I certainly hope so!

It doesn't look like much now. Matter of fact looks like it would take me two or three weeks to restore this one I wish! I have lusted over large jointer's for a while now. It's not something I really need. I just want one to restore! And of course to use too.

This is a photos of a restored 8" H&B jointer that is said to be almost identical. Minus of course the pretty paint job. Looking at this photo just excites me more! I know I am strange sometimes.

Check out that motor in the background! The jointer I am looking at is a flat belt drive and would use a motor like that. Odds are I won't find one but that would just be the icing on the cake!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    This is a photos of a restored 8" H&B jointer that is said to be almost identical. Minus of course the pretty paint job.

No! Don't minus the pretty paint job! That is a great red on that jointer

There's way too much boring battleship green and grey in our workshops. Not enough hot-rod colours. All these Arn restorers out there seem stuck on putting "authentic" colours on their systems.

I keep saying to myself that if I ever get the time/space/opportunity to restore a nice tool I'm going to paint it red or royal purple, or put flames on it... Anything but boring grey!

Hmm, maybe I should just paint one of my new tools just for practise...

If you paint old arn, fine, but only if it needs it (like that USS Jeff Horton jointer in this thread needs it) but the color, well whatever turns your crank.

I just LOVE that fact that someone is saving these old machines!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I know of someone who put flames on his restored Oliver Lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Englebrecht View Post
    I know of someone who put flames on his restored Oliver Lathe.

Really? That sounds kinda cool.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    Really? That sounds kinda cool.
    Kinda of crazy eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Englebrecht View Post
    Kinda of crazy eh?
    Yah, you betcha.

As for the colors of these old machines....I'm not so much of a purist in that I would rather see the restorer do whatever floats their boat, as long as these old machines get restored and used. It is only paint and easy to re-paint later if you ever need to sell it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your old jointer restored Jeff, no matter what color. In fact I think I know a guy who could get you some chrome flames.

You guys are funny. First, Art misunderstood what I meant. Not uncommon with my writing skills. When I said "a restored 8" H&B jointer that is said to be almost identical. Minus of course the pretty paint job." I mean this one was almost identical EXCEPT it doesn't have a pretty paint job. I have no problem with that RED paint. Matter of fact I almost painted some of mine red.

Yes, I am a purist at heart and tradition won out out when I restored all mine, but I don't have a problem with machines of different colors. I draw the line at flames though. .

I have been thinking about what color to paint this one assuming I get it. I really want something semi-traditional but that has some flair too. Something that looks old but jumps out at you. This one will not be Delta gray. I was thinking something along the lines Mark Marzluf used on his old Fay & Egan jointer. He posted on SMC and Woodnet. It was black with green trim and white raised lettering. It just was just the perfect colors to me.

Just got a couple of messages over at OWWM and looks like this deal is coming together! Bill agreed to Rucker it to my house even. Looks like I might be getting this puppy after all.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 12-12-2006 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Cause I can't type or proof read!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    I draw the line at flames though. .
    Well that's just great, now I don't know WHAT to get you for Christmas.....

I did add some color to my saw when I overhauled it.

The left picture is the way I received it no cast wings it did have the front louvered door. I titled these shots in my shop file the Alpha & Omega.

I think you should go with red & put a movable red rotating light on its top at least for the first week. When you get it done & up & running you'll deserve to have that red light coming on when you come into the shop to celebrate.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 12-12-2006 at 02:08 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart