Speaking of Jointers....

Jeff Horton

I have been back and forth with the guy on this jointer for a few months now. My biggest problem was it was going to cost more in gas and motels than he wanted for the jointer. Looks like it may be possible for it to hitch a ride near me with some other machinery. I think that is a distinct possibility. I certainly hope so!

hbjointeranglevm0.jpg

It doesn't look like much now. Matter of fact looks like it would take me two or three weeks to restore this one :rofl: :D I wish! I have lusted over large jointer's for a while now. It's not something I really need. I just want one to restore! And of course to use too.

This is a photos of a restored 8" H&B jointer that is said to be almost identical. Minus of course the pretty paint job. ;) Looking at this photo just excites me more! I know I am strange sometimes.

902-B.jpg

Check out that motor in the background! The jointer I am looking at is a flat belt drive and would use a motor like that. Odds are I won't find one but that would just be the icing on the cake!

This is a photos of a restored 8" H&B jointer that is said to be almost identical. Minus of course the pretty paint job. ;)

No! Don't minus the pretty paint job! That is a great red on that jointer

There's way too much boring battleship green and grey in our workshops. Not enough hot-rod colours. All these Arn restorers out there seem stuck on putting "authentic" colours on their systems.

I keep saying to myself that if I ever get the time/space/opportunity to restore a nice tool I'm going to paint it red or royal purple, or put flames on it... Anything but boring grey!

Hmm, maybe I should just paint one of my new tools just for practise...

If you paint old arn, fine, but only if it needs it (like that USS Jeff Horton jointer in this thread needs it) but the color, well whatever turns your crank.

I just LOVE that fact that someone is saving these old machines!

Cheers!

Kinda of crazy eh?

Yah, you betcha.

As for the colors of these old machines....I'm not so much of a purist in that I would rather see the restorer do whatever floats their boat, as long as these old machines get restored and used. It is only paint and easy to re-paint later if you ever need to sell it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your old jointer restored Jeff, no matter what color. In fact I think I know a guy who could get you some chrome flames. ;)

:rofl: You guys are funny. First, Art misunderstood what I meant. Not uncommon with my writing skills. When I said "a restored 8" H&B jointer that is said to be almost identical. Minus of course the pretty paint job." I mean this one was almost identical EXCEPT it doesn't have a pretty paint job. I have no problem with that RED paint. Matter of fact I almost painted some of mine red.

Yes, I am a purist at heart and tradition won out out when I restored all mine, but I don't have a problem with machines of different colors. I draw the line at flames though. ;) :) .

I have been thinking about what color to paint this one assuming I get it. I really want something semi-traditional but that has some flair too. Something that looks old but jumps out at you. This one will not be Delta gray. I was thinking something along the lines Mark Marzluf used on his old Fay & Egan jointer. He posted on SMC and Woodnet. It was black with green trim and white raised lettering. It just was just the perfect colors to me.

Just got a couple of messages over at OWWM and looks like this deal is coming together! Bill agreed to Rucker it to my house even. Looks like I might be getting this puppy after all.:clap: :clap: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Last edited:
I did add some color to my saw when I overhauled it.

The left picture is the way I received it no cast wings it did have the front louvered door. I titled these shots in my shop file the Alpha & Omega.

I think you should go with red & put a movable red rotating light on its top at least for the first week. When you get it done & up & running you'll deserve to have that red light coming on when you come into the shop to celebrate.

Attachments

• The Alfa & Omega.jpg
    The Alfa & Omega.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I think you should go with red & put a movable red rotating light on its top at least for the first week. When you get it done & up & running you'll deserve to have that red light coming on when you come into the shop to celebrate.

I was thinking a red flashing light as a safety reminder!

hbjointerfinger2bv1.jpg

This is the one thing that made me hesitant about this machine. The old Square head on it. Not sure what but that will have to be improved on or perhaps just replaced totally.

Jeff
Scared and excited too.

Seeing that it is an old Hall and Brown machine made in my hometown of St. Louis, maybe you should paint it red and blue, the team colors of the St. Louis Cardinals:D :D

You need to speak to Vaughn about the big $$$$ items, I hear tod and Steve are getting new trucks.......I'm just good for small $ items, pinstripes and flames, and the occasional hot rod decal....sorry

nope.....steve-n-vaughn.....i wouldn`t know how to drive a new one:eek: ...strongarm powersteering and drum brakes for this kid:D

No hijack, to me anyway. I find thread drift entertaining most times.

Just got word on the jointer and it's mine pending arranging some delivery! :headbang: And the delivery looks like it's just a matter for working out some details.

ALSO, the seller had a ROUND three bladed head that he will sell with the jointer. So that solved my bigger problem/concern. For those that don't know, the round cutter are safer because they will only take the tips of you finger off. :rolleyes: But that is better than a whole finger as shown in the above photo. I would prefer to keep mine obviously.

Nice find my friend. I like old jointers myself as they are fairly easy to restore and are very useful, especially the bigger ones since you can get right to work flattening even wider boards.

I never dealt much with square headed jointers, but like you, I heard there are all kinds of woodworkers, carpenters and shipwrights that died with stumps instead of arms because of them. From what I understand, its not the square headed design that is so unsafe, but the rather big gap the square cutterhead leaves in the table during its roatation.

As for me, I am a traditionalist and so I would not change the cutterhead. Instead I would fabricate a slip on or clamp on guard made out of plywood or aluminum to cover the blade. That way the value of the jointer would still be there, and yet you would have a safer machine.

I felt the same way too till I saw that photo above. After seeing that and thinking about it a while I decided I would change it out. Safety is more important to me than originality in this case.

I don't think it really hurts the value. I don't believe most people are that interested in the originality. I am sure some are, but I don't believe most are. I will keep the original parts if someone wanted to swap them back out. Besides, I have no intentions of selling it anyway. ;) I have looked for one for too long. I expect to run a lot of lumber across it!