Commemorative Maple Bowl

A few months back (snow was still on the ground) one of my wife’s co-workers, who lives on the south side of Marquette, had the city cut down an old maple tree that had died. The tree was pretty well rotten and he had planned to split everything up for firewood. My wife talked to him about the wood and the possibility that I might be able to turn something out of it. He offered any or all of the tree if I was interested – all he would like in return was something/anything made out of it as a remembrance. Told me the tree was planted back in the mid 1930s by his Dad and Grandfather (both gone now) – back when the whole area was part of their family farm.

This is the Maple bowl I turned as a memento. It is 8 1/4” diameter x 4” high x 3/8” thick, sanded to 400 grit and has 5 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly.

Commemorative Maple V1.jpg Commemorative Maple V2.jpg Commemorative Maple V3.jpg Commemorative Maple V4.jpg

As always, your comments and/or critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Steve,
I always look forward to your work, gives me a goal to work towards. I also enjoy when there is a story that goes behind the wood.

BTW, I went to Da Tech way back when. Spent a couple years at L'Anse and the rest at Houghton.

Keep up the good work

TomCollins