Some Hollow Forms

Wayne Bower

Here are some of the HF's that I have turned with my new steel snake. The first is a locust with some bug work on one side that I managed to save approx 6 inches high, the second is also locust approx 10 inches high, the third is hackberry approx 7 inches high and 10 inches in diameter, and the last is osage orange approx 9 inches in diameter and 4 inches high. The articulated steel snake work very smooth and these HF's are addictive.
Comments and critques are welcome

Attachments

• bowls_028 post.jpg
    bowls_028 post.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 31
  • bowls_031 post.jpg
    bowls_031 post.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 22
  • bowls_022 post.jpg
    bowls_022 post.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 29
  • bowls_036 post.jpg
    bowls_036 post.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Wonderful job Wayne. Is it tricky to do around the knots? Having never done a HF before I'd suspect you'd have to be careful of blowouts.

Great job, all look great.

Great job, Wayne. :thumb: Glad to hear the snake is working out. Also glad to see someone posting pics of turnings. Seems like everyone has been on hiatus or in between finished projects. I've got 5 or 6 sanded to 400 and waiting for finish. (I'm trying a new finishing approach, and plan to do several at the same time.)

Darren, for me, I've found the best way to deal with knots and voids is speed. By speeding up the lathe, it seems easier to keep the cutting edge out of the holes. The flipside is that higher speeds increase the chance that a catch will be disastrous, and possibly dangerous. Of course, light, steady cuts play a big role, too, to avoid the catches in the first place.

Wayne,

Great job. I like them all but the third from the left is my favorite. It kinda reminds me of a piece of American Indian pottery. Cool stuff.

Nice work on all four Wayne! Turning HFs are a lot of fun just because the entire experience is so different than spindles or bowls - plus you end up with something totally unique! Glad to see that the snake is working! Looking forward to seeing more of your HFs real soon!

Well Done Dad! :thumb: Glad you got them finished...I hope to finish the mods on your capture rig this weekend. Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I will be posting some more some time. Always like to hear what others think of my work.
John, when you get your snake done, I would like to see a photo.
Darren, the knots are interesting to work around. The snake takes some of the catch fear out of the equation though.
Thanks again everyone:D