What I have been up to

Steve Ash

I haven't been around much, last time I logged on I think was about two weeks ago telling you folks about the hail damage and i was going to be busy.....well, I am.

I have done 52 estimates since this all started, some of the bids are coming back that I have been chosen for. I can't handle them all if I got them, but i will at least give the homeowners a bid.

I won't get into all that I have seen in this amount of time, but I have seen people greedy, some needy, some fly by nighters, some scam artists, some trying to jump in on a job I have secured....some use my estimate, get paid and either do the work themselves or pocket the claim and do nothing.

I have been in this business for 19 years this past April......in all those years I have never charged for a estimate.....I had a farmer ask for a estimate and was up front saying he'd probably do the work himself....hey he is honest....then gave me a grocery bag of fresh farm grown beef. He told me I couldn't be out running around with the high cost of gas and doing it for free....Guess what?....when I have my hogs butchered this fall he will be getting some fresh pork as a repay in kindness. I have seen all kinds in the past few weeks, some want more than they got coming, some are just good ole folk......I like working for the good ole folk.

kinda like a funeral

when someone passes the vultures sweep in be it family or friends you can quickly see who'w who! glad your still pluggin boss and hope the work will continue for you as it seems to be now..:thumb:

I figured you'd been busy, but man, that sounds BUSY.

With any luck at all, there's a special place reserved in the end for scumbags who take advantage of people when they're down. Good things come to the good guys like you, Steve.

The jobs are starting to roll in, I got 5 signed contracts and more supposed to be coming in. One house has 50 squares of shingles and 23 squares of siding, another I have a verbal on is even larger.

My two sons had the weekend to work with me so we tore off and put new shingles on 2 24x24 garages, a 24x30 garage and a small gambrel barn on sat. and sunday. I always said if I ever got off the farm I'd never work another Sunday....well, I guess that is gonna not happen for a while.

Make hay when the sun shines I always was told.:thumb:

Till next time.....:wave:

Steve - I totally understand about what you are saying about people showing their true colors. I went through a hurricane back in '79, lost everything - but found I had to compete for help with those who suffered no damage whatsoever and were just there to grab what they could. Sad part is when some of those folks turn out to be relatives. Creates a riff that exists to this day.... Funny how some folks act but it makes you appreciate the 'real' people all the more and they are worth the effort.

Glad you are able to assist those folks who truely need it! Be safe - post more when you have the time.