Thread: Shellac mixing ????????????

Shellac mixing ????????????

hi all! how do you guys and gals mix your shellac?? i've got orange shellac flakes and i want to mix a 2lb cut. how do you know you have the right amount? do i use a scale, and if so what kind of scale and where can i find one? i only want to mix up a 1/4 or 8 ounce batch. TIA
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

Jim,
    For eight ounces of a 2 pound cut, you need to mix two ounces of flakes into eight ounces of alcohol. Use a scale to measure the flakes.

Personally, I seldom measure my 'cuts.' I put the flakes into a jar, then pour in enough alcohol to cover them. When dissolved, this makes a fairly heavy mixture - probably a three or four pounder. Then, I put some of that into a jar/dish and add alcohol until I get the consistency I want/need.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

the norm

what is the norm for a cut to spray with jim? or anyone else. its been awhile but i think i took and made a 2 lb cut from flakes 3 months ago and am gonna spray some of it. i think i used the recipe on the back of the bag.. i know thats alot of i thinks and will write it down next time
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    what is the norm for a cut to spray with jim? or anyone else. its been awhile but i think i took and made a 2 lb cut from flakes 3 months ago and am gonna spray some of it. i think i used the recipe on the back of the bag.. i know thats alot of i thinks and will write it down next time
    Larry,
    A 2# cut ought to spray just fine. I've sprayed SealCoatŪ right out of the can, with good results.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

jim- for what it's worth- i'm like jim d. don't really measure are weigh much-i will fill a mason jar ( i like to use those old jars with the glass tops-just because i like the way they look) half full of flakes and half alcohol- put it on the shelf and every time i notice it i'll shake it, i do this for a week are so then let it set for a few days and settle-then strain it- cut that with alcohol again - half and half-let that settle again for a few days and strain again-if you rub it like i do you might wont to cut it some more. there will be flakes left but they are no longer flakes more of a gook-use them again.-
    these are in the second go-round (the gook stage)

oh if you are going to use a panty-hose to strain through-use an old one and you will stay out of trouble.

alex

The one pound(weight) cut of one pound of shellac to a gallon(volume) of alcohol works out to be a ratio of eight to one. One oz. flakes eight oz. alcohol-one pound cut. After saying all that I agree its not critical to have exact measurements. I usually fill a container about half full and fill the rest with alcohol. If its thicker than you want add more alcohol.

Regards

Jerry