Shellac mixing ????????????

jim capozzi

hi all! :wave: how do you guys and gals mix your shellac?? :dunno: i've got orange shellac flakes and i want to mix a 2lb cut. how do you know you have the right amount? do i use a scale, and if so what kind of scale and where can i find one? i only want to mix up a 1/4 or 8 ounce batch. :D TIA

Jim,
For eight ounces of a 2 pound cut, you need to mix two ounces of flakes into eight ounces of alcohol. Use a scale to measure the flakes.

Personally, I seldom measure my 'cuts.' I put the flakes into a jar, then pour in enough alcohol to cover them. When dissolved, this makes a fairly heavy mixture - probably a three or four pounder. Then, I put some of that into a jar/dish and add alcohol until I get the consistency I want/need.

the norm

what is the norm for a cut to spray with jim? or anyone else. its been awhile but i think i took and made a 2 lb cut from flakes 3 months ago and am gonna spray some of it. i think i used the recipe on the back of the bag.. i know thats alot of i thinks and will write it down next time:huh:

what is the norm for a cut to spray with jim? or anyone else. its been awhile but i think i took and made a 2 lb cut from flakes 3 months ago and am gonna spray some of it. i think i used the recipe on the back of the bag.. i know thats alot of i thinks and will write it down next time:huh:

Larry,
A 2# cut ought to spray just fine. I've sprayed SealCoat® right out of the can, with good results.

jim- for what it's worth- i'm like jim d. don't really measure are weigh much-i will fill a mason jar ( i like to use those old jars with the glass tops-just because i like the way they look) half full of flakes and half alcohol- put it on the shelf and every time i notice it i'll shake it, i do this for a week are so then let it set for a few days and settle-then strain it- cut that with alcohol again - half and half-let that settle again for a few days and strain again-if you rub it like i do you might wont to cut it some more. there will be flakes left but they are no longer flakes more of a gook-use them again.-
these are in the second go-round (the gook stage)
DSCF0001-18.jpg

oh if you are going to use a panty-hose to strain through-use an old one and you will stay out of trouble.

alex

The one pound(weight) cut of one pound of shellac to a gallon(volume) of alcohol works out to be a ratio of eight to one. One oz. flakes eight oz. alcohol-one pound cut. After saying all that I agree its not critical to have exact measurements. I usually fill a container about half full and fill the rest with alcohol. If its thicker than you want add more alcohol.

Regards

Jerry