chatter in oak

Not a big fan of routers but the principle is the same as in metal working. It is a balancing act between RPM, feed rate and depth of cut. My guess is your taking to much material off at once. But trying adjusting those and you will find the sweet spot.

I route oak quite a bit. With a 3/4" bit I take 1/8" bites at full speed with a Mil 5616 and it is real smooth. Does the router feel in control and it's more of a sound thing or is the router jumping in your hands? You didn't mention whether it was red or white. Red oak is pretty fiberous stuff so grain direction gets more critical. My .02.
Here's something on grain reading: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesPDF.aspx?id=26705

Like Glenn says, take small amounts. Be careful you don't break the router bit with that chattering, especially if it's a 1/4" shank. If your using a straight edge, I always like to put them to the left side of the router.

Like Glenn says, take small amounts. Be careful you don't break the router bit with that chattering, especially if it's a 1/4" shank. If your using a straight edge, I always like to put them to the left side of the router.

Norm bring up a good point. Straight edge on the right would result in a climb cut.