Sweet Heart Planes?

Sean Wright

I had heard various mentions of Sweet Heart Planes when I was looking up information on my Grandpa's planes. I tried to dig deeper to see what the big deal with this was, but the only thing I could find out was that it was something that Stanley did for a certain period of time.

2 of my Grandpa's planes have the SW stamped into the iron. The #3 and the #191. Does the SW make these planes more valuable, better, or special in any way?

Also the #3 has the following stamped just in front of the tote:
U.S.PAT
APR-19-10

Does anyone know if this means any thing specific?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• StanleySWNo3-1.jpg
    StanleySWNo3-1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 50
  • StanleySWNo3-2.jpg
    StanleySWNo3-2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 49
  • StanleySWNo191.jpg
    StanleySWNo191.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 56
Sean, other than knowing the Sweetheart designation is sought after, I don't know what makes it desirable. (Other guys who know will chime in, I'm sure.)

Patrick's Blood and Gore site has boatloads of info on old planes. Here's the plane dating page:

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/main.html

That might get you pointed towards more info about the patent date you see on the number 3.

The only value of the sweet Hart (named after a guy named Hart) is that it limits the range of planes. It's sort of like people collecting only coins from a certain mint. It's too easy to get one of each plane (that is, a #4, #5, etc.) if you open it up to all Stanley planes. (the #1 is an exception to the statement)

But the sweetheart planes are also known as "good" planes - made during a period when the quality was top notch.

Other collectors are more specific. For example, for a while, I was trying to get a set of Stanley planes that were all type 11 (a type is like a "version" and was only made for a limited number of years - the sweetheart planes are something like type 13 and 14 - don't remember exactly - I never got into sweetheart planes.)

The patent date is just something that's used to determine the type - it has no meaning beyond that.

If the planes are in good condition, they'll make good users. They don't bring an exceptional amount of money at auction.

Mike

You can check the plane types here. Click on "Plane dating flowchart".

Last edited:
From Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools by John Walter

Page 85 Paragraph 2.

"In 1915 the company directors voted William Hart as its first chairman of the board of the Stanley Works, his son George p. followed him as president. Some years prior, The Stanley Works had introduced a new trademark , the “Sweetheart,” a heart shaped logo with the letters “SW” inside, signifying Stanley Works. The Heart shape honored William S. Hart, who ultimately served the company for 61 years. He continued as chairman until 1918 and dies the following year at the age of 85."

Page 88 Paragraph 3.

"In 1934, The Stanley Works discontinued use of the “Sweetheart” trademark and adopted a simple notched rectangle surrounding the word “Stanley.” "

Last edited:
I've got three stanley vintage planes, one of them is a sweetheart.

The only thing that I can tell you is that I feel that the steel of the blade is far better than the others, which are also very good.

It sharpens easily, you get a razor edge and it stays sharp for quite long.

I do not see any significant difference in the bodies so I can't tell.

As fot the rest I believe it is just a matter of offer and demand among collectors

Hello all, I have just come across this site whilst looking at info for Stanley planes. I am a joinery lecturer at a college here in England. I am looking forward to chatting about tools as I collect handtools, mainly planes.
Steve.

Hello all, I have just come across this site whilst looking at info for Stanley planes. I am a joinery lecturer at a college here in England. I am looking forward to chatting about tools as I collect handtools, mainly planes.
Steve.

you poor fella ,,you realize that its uncureable right:rolleyes::thumb: you can never get enuff..