Just Helping a Brother Out

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
"Spinner" over at Woodturner's Resource has a problem. He's moving, and won't have room for his Powermatic 3520a (which he's selling), and he won't have room for much of his turning stock. Me, being the ever-helpful kinda guy I am, risked life, limb, and truck fenders and drove a few miles across town to help save some of his wood from the landfill or other peoples' fireplaces. Here's the end result:

Spinner wood 1 - 800.jpg Spinner wood 2 - 800.jpg Spinner wood 3 - 800.jpg

There is maple, sycamore, a few big sections of carob, a chunk of ipe, and several fine specimens of Southern California Dunnowood. He even threw in a couple of big roughed and dried bowls. He still has a lot to get rid of -- mostly smaller pieces -- and only one other person lined up to pick some up, so I told him to let me know if he needs me to haul more away for him.

The wood is nice, but the real prize was getting to sit and yak with another turner -- a good one, at that. I learned some good things.

I wish I had the money to buy the lathe. I'd really like to upgrade but...

Maybe I could offer to build him some furniture in payment.

Mike
Can't hurt to ask. ;) That's a good price on the lathe, IMHO. I didn't look at it closely today when I was there...just noticed it looks like it's used by a turner. (Bit of finish dripped down the back, paint worn off the tool rest, the good signs.)

Having to choose to leave that wood between landfill, neigbourgh's fireplace, and the hands of a fellow woodworker/turner I had chosen the.....

The fellow woodworker!! what did you think??

So now you are entitled for fantastic jobs Vaughn!:thumb:

Vaughn - looks like you picked up some really nice mustard sized chunks of wood! Hate to hear when a turner has to downsize - for whatever reason - but glad to hear that the wood is not going to waste! Looking forward to seeing the resulting projects!

Vaughn,
Your sacrifices are inspiring!:D You make me want to be a better man.:rofl: And if I were half as good as you, my wife would clobber me!:rofl::rofl: If "Spinner" is going to be close by, he might enjoy stopping by to visit "your" stash! Lots of good raw materials there. Good luck getting it all stored and safe.

Wes