Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curly/Fiddleback Cherry natural edge bowl

Curly/Fiddleback Cherry natural edge bowl

I've never seen cherry like this before. I know its around, but I got this for FREE, and had NO idea it would turn out like this. It came from the root burl of a tree that was blown over last year on the farm next door. This piece was totally underground. Being blown over, the entire root burl was uprooted at the same time; it went almost 24" underground at about the same diameter as the trunk. It is a present for my girlfriend; its our 2 year anniversary. The piece was sanded to 400, then 2 liberal coats of minwax antique oil. I'm not buffing this one now; not enough time! Got to have it done by tuesday. It is about 13.5", and 12" on the small diameter, and roughly 8" tall. The foot I'm leaving on; I put a pretty deep recess in, and don't want to lose the lift that the foot gives. I'm not terribly worried about the chuck marks.

I'm not a photographer, and the piece is really much more impressive in person, if I do say so myself! A photo tent is in my near future.

Austin TX

This is a great piece. Looks to have it all. Form, size and of course the figured cherry. Wow is about all I can say. I know I've said it at minimum 4 - 5 times while I looked at the pictures. I'm sure your girlfriend will just love it.
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

ABQ NM
    Yeppers, that one's sweeeeeet! Gorgeous wood, and you showed it off very nicely.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Goodland, Kansas
    Great looking bowl out of some great looking wood. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Tyler, Texas
    Nathan, that's some of the most stunning wood I've ever seen and you did a great job showing it off. Thanks for showing.

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    I just picked up a load of wild cherry last week... haven't turned any yet, but hope some of it looks as good as yours... beautiful wood and work..
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Knock out.

DSM, IA
    Well Done Nathan.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Xenia, Ohio

Nathan Hawkes
    Very nice work Nathan. Isn't that cherry great wood to work with? I love the stuff myself. Just ordered a photo tent today myself. Mitch