Running a DC and Machinery on Same Circuit??

I have a 1.5hp dust collector that can be run either 110v or 220. I just bought a planer and a joiner and want to run either one at the same time as the DC. Because my 110 circuit has a 20-amp breaker, whereas my 220 circuit has a 30-amp, should I rewire the DC for 220?

The jointer is a 110v drawing 12 amps. Same as the DC.
The planer is a 2hp drawing 220v at 11.5 amps.
My tablesaw is a 220v drawing 19 amps.

Gary Curtis:)

I would say yes - because your 1.5hp motor would only draw 6 amps on 220. You SHOULD have enough room on that 30a 220 to run both the saw and the DC. - but ... if you don't, you'll have nuisance trips (usually upon starting one while the other is running), and at that point i'd say run another line - dedicated to the DC.

UNLESS - of course, if you have a 2nd 110v circuit you can run the DC on, it's probably easier to go that route.

I'll agree with Jason. Go with the 220v for the DC. 12 amps x 2 (DC and jointer) shouldn't be run on a single 20 amp circuit.

I would also go with running on 220. From what I understand running on 220 is more energy efficient which adds up to saving $$$$$$$. Which is always a good thing.

Mark

Mark, Unfortunately what you've been told is bunk. It comes down to watts and the machine draws the same wattage on 110v as it does on 220v. You will NOT save any money by wiring to 220v. You MAY see a slight performance gain if your 110v wiring is inadequate for hte load and the 220v line can keep the voltage drop down. But, let there be no mistake, nobody saves any money by going to 220v. :)

I run my tools(table saw, planer, jointer, drill press, and bandsaw) on a 110v 20 amp circuit, one at a time. I have a 1.5 hp DC that is on a seperate 110v 20 amp circuit. I started running on a seperate circuit after I stalled my table saw on piece of maple(with alot of internal pressure:eek:), and it blew the breaker and I was left in the dark so to speak. Since then, I haven't had any problems, but I haven't stalled the table saw either.....

My understanding of the 220v "benefit" is that it will give your motors a quicker startup than 110v. My understanding of the 220v "savings" would only show up if it was powering a motor that was all ways running (like factory/industrial use). Intermittent use(powering on and off), like our typical power tool usage won't show us any savings.