What has been going on here at home

Nope, not looking for Larry to be pulling up, even though he is always welcome. Putting lean to roofs on three sides of the barn and as it is sixty-seven years old and the original roof was nailed on, before access is harder due to the new roofs, I put up the big ladder and from end to end, top to bottom, put screws above each nail about an inch. Figure if the nails held this long, shouldn't have to get back on this roof the rest of my life. Was surprised, the majority of the roof was near 1/4 of an inch loose. So, East side is now done. The ladder got moved this evening and have the rafters cut for the East lean to so after getting home from the BMV tomorrow (have to renew my CDL). When the rafters are up, will get pictures posted so you can see this barn grow as well as the expensive hay that gets to go in it!

Attachments

• Hello.JPG
    Hello.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 53
  • The barn.JPG
    The barn.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 46
  • Looking for Larry.JPG
    Looking for Larry.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 48
Jonathan, with your ladder/roof walking skills, Ned could have used your help. :rofl: Looks like your barn will be around for another 67 years. :thumb:

Looks like your barn will be around for another 67 years. :thumb:

That is exactly what I am hoping will happen!!

Ned, sorry for the razing you are getting, didn't think about it. But hey, my wife has been without kitchen cabinets for a while (Larry saw the kitchen) so am not the quickest one around, just have hay in the machine shed and want to get it under the lean to's so the tractors can go back in their spots out of the weather. Oh, the reason for the lean to's, well the hay bales changed in size this year, from fifty pound squares to 690 pound squares and the other farm I buy from sells 998 pound square bales. Little tough to muscle up into the mow.

...the hay bales changed in size this year, from fifty pound squares to 690 pound squares and the other farm I buy from sells 998 pound square bales. Little tough to muscle up into the mow.

Well,,, First, get a good grip on the rope that goes thru that pulley...

I'm having a hard time envisioning a 998 pound square bale. Even the round ones I'm familiar with are usually only about 600#.

The one farm has a 2X3X8 baler. 2' high, 3' wide, 8' long and he sells them as being scaled at 640-690 pounds. As he doesn't have access to scales he sells three bales for a ton.

The other farm bales 4X4X8 bales. These are scaled on site and average 998 thus when buying hay by the ton, they sell you two bales.

Yep, times area a changing.

Chuck, very good point and math skills. Very hard to actually bale a bale of hay and after it cures in the barn to hit a specific weight. The farmer that has the smaller bales (690) actually plugs in 650 on his calculator when figuring the amount of hay purchased from him. I did run the extra twenty miles to a scale the first time I bought from him and he was very close. Also hay is still running about 240 dollars a ton at this time, this hay got rained on once and is made right, but the green as grass color isn't there. I bought it for $100 a ton, so was very, very happy with the deal.

The other farm, has an on farm scale and you pay for exactly the weight on the scale regardless the weight of each bale.

Well yesterday was busy and fruitful. Here are pictures of what got accomplished.

Oh and my new supervisor. Once the lean tos are completed, and my parent's roof put on their new house and school gets underway, I am going to try to get my new shop building enclosed and insulated. Dang gone, got to get some wood cut somewhere inbetween all of that!!

Attachments

• End view.JPG
    End view.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Side view.JPG
    Side view.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Lilly.JPG
    Lilly.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 24
see ya been busy

buildin yur self a hay area that is dry and secure..ougta go visit that ned guy in newyork area he needs help.. i hear to get much done. and youhad better get over your scarredie cat ideas and get up my way sometime:wave: looks good jon.. hey whe is the state competition? tess is in it right!!

Yes, Tess is going to Carmel this Saturday to compete for the ability to model at the state fair. If you make it in the top 15 in your division, you get to model. So, last year about 80 girls and she made it in the top 15 and got to model at state, they only place the top 5 and she didn't make that. Here's hoping she gets to the top 15 and another shot at that top five!!! Cow and calf won Grand Champion but they are home in pasture and the bull is in so that stays home. Her two pens are already there, she made a snap cap rollerball pen and a cigar pen.

Here is all that happened yesterday as around 1 pm through 5 pm we got 3/4 of an inch of rain :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: !!!!!!!!!!!!! Man we needed that badly. So after holding down my old easy chair and catching a snooze :dunno: CJ (grandson) and I went swinging with my new shop dog/supervisor on the barn project.

Attachments

• Lilly.JPG
    Lilly.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 8
  • CJ swinging.JPG
    CJ swinging.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Barn east side.JPG
    Barn east side.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 10
Purlons (sp?) are on the East side (and my knees hate me for crawling around on those 2X4's!!!) Cut and nailed up the North rafters today. Tomorrow going to try and set the two rolls of rolled roofing on my parent's new home on our farm. May try to get pictures of that ordeal.:doh:

Attachments

• Barn east side.JPG
    Barn east side.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Barn north side.JPG
    Barn north side.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 12
Congrats on the roofing job. Too many of the old style barns are being left to rot and being replaced with metal buildings. I know it is a matter of economics but still sad to see history laying in a pile. BTW, I tried to fix a loose shingle on a dormer of my house. Got up the ladder but that slanty stuff stopped me. That's not for this near-70 year old kid.

Ned should be finished by then.....:rolleyes::rolleyes: hopefully....:wave:

c'mon... I wasn't the only one thinkin' it was I?

sorry Ned:eek:

Ted

heck in 67 years I will be long gone, let alone my shop being finished.

That is exactly what I am hoping will happen!!

Ned, sorry for the razing you are getting, didn't think about it. But hey, my wife has been without kitchen cabinets for a while (Larry saw the kitchen) so am not the quickest one around, just have hay in the machine shed and want to get it under the lean to's so the tractors can go back in their spots out of the weather. Oh, the reason for the lean to's, well the hay bales changed in size this year, from fifty pound squares to 690 pound squares and the other farm I buy from sells 998 pound square bales. Little tough to muscle up into the mow.

no worries.:thumb: I've earned every bit of it. Sounds like quite the project. I'm glad you can handle the heights, I don't think my roofers would travel that far. !:rofl:

Ned, I fear I too will be long gone in 67 years. But no reason the way this barn is built that I want to be responsible for it falling into disrepair while its care is under my watch.
I can handle the heights, but my knees are telling me to lose some weight as the surface area of a 2X4 sure creates a hurting situation! :dunno:

Frank, the heights are some of the reasons for these buildings falling into disrepair. Also, they are very labor intensive to keep clean. Thus the lean to on the West side will be divided by gates for the horses so in spring I can just run the tractor and loader in to clean. I am trying to get things in shape so by the time I am 70 things don't fall into disrepair. I understand there will be Mother Nature and emergencies, but general overall maintenance I am trying to keep ahead of. I was surprised, when on the roof screwing it down, it was lifted as an average a 1/4 of an inch off of the trusses. That was on the East side. Ladder is up and will be getting the West side screwed down this coming week.

Well, had the day to myself. Notice my pickup is not attached to the trailer? Well daughter two, Tess, and my wife had it in Indy as Tess had to model for a slot at the state fair. She did not make the cut there, but like her older sister, sure makes the cut here at home. So have attached a picture of her from the county fair and the dress she made and won Grand with and won Grand in modeling.

Thanks for the comments gentlemen, oh and I guess any fears of heights are far outweighed by the cost of hiring anyone else and I am a bit picky on how I want it done (done right!!!!). :eek: :eek: :rofl: :thumb:

Attachments

• Tess.jpg
    Tess.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 22
It isn't the height that bothers me, the slanty part is what stopped me cold.
Tell your daughter congratulations for trying the state fair pageant. We were pageant parents for many years with our late in life daughter. Wife and I have even judged pageants. There is no predicting outcome. Not winning a pageant, while naturally disappointing, can, and should be, a character building experience. Notice, I said "not winning". I did not say 'losing'. For those who compete, there are no losers.

Caution

Just a caution - I play golf with some either Doctors or Fathers of Emergency Room Doctors.

Their advice based on injuries seen.

Men over 60 should stay off ladders. Even short ones!

I know a lot of you may disagree but a small fall can do a lot of damage even to a young person. Someone a little older gets even more damage.

I have seen a few retirees lifes change bigtime for the worse due to a fall off a ladder or a roof.

Thanks Frank, those are the sentiments we have had throughout their 4H years. Show what we grow on our farm. Black ink at the end of the year pays the bills, not the number of trophies on the shelf.
Pete, notice the ladder in the picture of my dad on the roof of their new house on my farm? Dang, that was my grandpa's ladder when he was wiring houses in the 40's!! Tess went to the barn and got my fiberglass extension ladder before he got down and mom went up. (It is a near flat roof)
As I was busy with the tractor and Tess giving directions to get the pipe in the tube of roofing, no pictures of the actual event (mom was taking video though) but here are the pictures of the front and the two tubes on the roof are the rolls of rubber roofing. Next Sunday two brother in laws coming from IL, and helping get this rolled out, seamed together and then eating and a lot of talking going on!!!!!! The equipment responsible, Ollie the Oliver with a bale spear with a pipe slipped over the spear. Think I will weld caps on the end of that pipe, wire brush and paint it, then make a hitching rail at mom and dad's, what they heck, it has a story to tell of the development of this home.

Attachments

• Dad on roof.JPG
    Dad on roof.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Rolls of roofing.JPG
    Rolls of roofing.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Ollie.JPG
    Ollie.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 10