My First Bowl

Ned Bulken

Jumped headlong into the abyss tonight. Don Orr was gracious enough to host me at his shop this evening. We started with sharpening, he showed me his wolvie clone, and how to shape and hone the gouges we used.[

donsharpening.jpg

sharpensorby.jpg

woliveclone.jpg

I didn't get a photo of the profiles, but one was basically an ellsworth grind, and the other was a much blunter profile, which I liked more. I also got to try a round scraper for cleanup and then sanding on the lathe.

Note to self, get DC fired up before getting the spinny thing going... koff koff...

Here's the end product...
curlies.jpg

no, wait. I'm only kidding....

a little..

Don had a 8 or 9" Ash blank all set.

After a couple of walk throughs for angle and such here I went...
turningmuscle.jpg

concentration.jpg

Don is an excellent teacher, and I cannot thank him enough for opening his shop to me and giving me this lesson.

I had a blast, Thanks Don!
hapeturner.jpg

needsfinish.jpg
:thumb:

I had a great time too.

You are very welcome Ned, it was really my pleasure. I have to say you are an easy student, you picked up the process and techniques quickly. :thumb:

Now get that shop done so you can practice:D.

Boom!

Nice job Ned, and Don!:thumb:

Man, that shop is NEVER going to get done now :D :D :D
Thanks Stu, and yes it is! I'm not woodworking outside anymore... let alone turning... though, with all the chips that might not be such a bad idea...

Thanks for that laugh Vaughn, now I have Freddy singing in the back of my mind.
Excellent Job Ned. Great photos showing the process; your post is a keeper!

Don grabbed the camera, I just stood there. ;)

You are very welcome Ned, it was really my pleasure. I have to say you are an easy student, you picked up the process and techniques quickly. :thumb:

Now get that shop done so you can practice:D.
Don, see my reply to Stu... I can see two tools in my future though... a bigger dustpan and a chainsaw.

Nice work Ned!!

Thanks Rennie, but I was just learning...

Congrats Ned! Great looking bowl for your first. :thumb:

Make sure you sign and date it, then after the shop is finished....oh wait.....yeah just make sure you sign and date it. :D:rofl:

Great looking bowl Ned. Sounds like you and Don had a great time. Like Jeff said sign, date and keep that one so you can compare a couple of years down the road now that we got you hooked.:rofl:

Very nice bowl Ned! I enjoyed the sequence of photos - nothing like being able to document your first bowl!

Steve, occupational hazard, I'm a photographer by trade, and I figured all the citizens in the abyss would enjoy my first major drop into the maelstrom.

Great looking bowl Ned. Sounds like you and Don had a great time. Like Jeff said sign, date and keep that one so you can compare a couple of years down the road now that we got you hooked.:rofl:
I haven't signed it yet, but I will. It's going on a shelf in the corner of the shop when I get to that point.
Glad I could help! :D
Help he says.... sheesh. ;)

Very nice work Ned. Need to try my hand at that some day myself. Did you find it hard to do?

Yes and no... It was easy to do because Don is a great teacher, but it was interesting seeing that block of wood spinning at 1000 rpm by the end. I never saw Don turn things up, but it started at 700 some odd rpm.

I'll definitely be setting the lathe and grinder up asap once I get the shop going, but there's a ton of flatwork to be done as well. I'll have to budget my spinny time. (hey, I can try anyway...)

I can see my scrollsaw being very lonely, however.