SoCal Guys - Didja Feel That One?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
We just had what the US Geological Survey is calling "Event 14383980". It's tentatively labeled as a magnitude 5.6 shaker.

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/ca/STORE/X14383980/ciim_display.html

I most definitely felt it. It was long enough duration for me to gather up the dogs and go outside, and it was still shaking when we got out there. This is the strongest one I've felt since the Northridge quake. No damage here at the house.

Anybody else feel this one?

Not even a flinch up here - thankfully.

So far, i've avoided the experience - been here since '99 and haven't had the pleasure yet. They're pretty rare around these parts, but a half hour westward is a whole 'nother story! :D

They're now calling it a 5.4, epicenter in Chino Hills: I'm maybe 7-8 miles south as the crow flies. Glad I don't live in Brea.

Only thing broken was the natural-edge bowl by Mark Cothren that I bought in SMCs charity auction awhile back. Couple pieces of bark edge broke off, but should be fixable assuming I can find all the chunks.

Bunch of stuff came off shelves and a bunch of books tipped over, shower doors got shaken off the tracks...already fixed. I've still got gas, water, cable, and electricity, so everything must have moved as one big chunk here.

This one shook the house north-south, which I don't ever remember happening before. Only lasted about 10 seconds here though.

Last edited:
Yep, no damage here. I'm about 15 miles from the epicenter - Lee is closer than I am. I felt a small shake first and thought "Must be a small quake." The the real shake hit.

But beyond scaring the cat, it was pretty much a non-event.

Glad no one else reported any serious damage.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Mike

We just had what the US Geological Survey is calling "Event 14383980". It's tentatively labeled as a magnitude 5.6 shaker. I most definitely felt it. It was long enough duration for me to gather up the dogs and go outside, and it was still shaking when we got out there. This is the strongest one I've felt since the Northridge quake. No damage here at the house.

Anybody else feel this one?

Not even a flinch up here - thankfully.

So far, i've avoided the experience - been here since '99 and haven't had the pleasure yet. They're pretty rare around these parts, but a half hour westward is a whole 'nother story! :D

They're now calling it a 5.4, epicenter in Chino Hills: I'm maybe 7-8 miles south as the crow flies. Glad I don't live in Brea.

Only thing broken was the natural-edge bowl by Mark Cothren that I bought in SMCs charity auction awhile back. Couple pieces of bark edge broke off, but should be fixable assuming I can find all the chunks.

Bunch of stuff came off shelves and a bunch of books tipped over, shower doors got shaken off the tracks...already fixed. I've still got gas, water, cable, and electricity, so everything must have moved as one big chunk here.

This one shook the house north-south, which I don't ever remember happening before. Only lasted about 10 seconds here though.

Yep, no damage here. I'm about 15 miles from the epicenter - Lee is closer than I am. I felt a small shake first and thought "Must be a small quake." The the real shake hit.

But beyond scaring the cat, it was pretty much a non-event.

Glad no one else reported any serious damage.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Mike
Other than scared cats and dogs - glad to hear you're all OK! :thumb:

5.6 in Chino Hills I heard. During our staff meeting only one person paused in the activities . . . she's not a native. The rest of us acknowledged the mini blinds slapping against the windows but were otherwise disinterested. We ribbed her for the look on her face; classic.

Glad you left coasties are okay.

It took a 7.0 or more to get our attention in Alaska
But Alaska has 1.1 person per square mile, so a 7.0 would affect about what...about 17 or 18 people? :rofl:

Cali has about 217 people per square mile. Seems more like billions and billions of 'em most days. Although with some of them, the "people" label might be a stretch. :p

It's just like real estate: the three most important things are location, location, location. Even here in SoCal, how a quake feels or affects you depends on exactly where you are. The difference between 5 miles away and 30 miles away really matters: this one shook my place a lot worse than the (much bigger) Northridge and Landers quakes, although it didn't last anywhere near as long.

But yeah, it was a bit annoying to watch the people absolutely freaking out on the newscasts from downtown LA (35 miles away), especially the video from the LA City Council meeting where the light fixtures were swaying maybe 2" each way.