Three in the Tree......

Stuart Ablett

......... Remember the "Three in the Tree" transmissions in older trucks & cars?

Well how about a "Five in the Tree".........

five_in_the_tree_1.jpg five_in_the_tree_2.jpg

I was driving this truck today, we were setting up for the local town summer festival.

I'd never seen a five in the tree transmission, this truck is not new, but maybe a mid 80's truck.

Cheers!

......... Remember the "Three in the Tree" transmissions in older trucks & cars?

Well how about a "Five in the Tree".........

View attachment 22588 View attachment 22589

I was driving this truck today, we were setting up for the local town summer festival.

I'd never seen a five in the tree transmission, this truck is not new, but maybe a mid 80's truck.

Cheers!

That would throw me for a loop, not only is it on the tree, the shift pattern is backwards!:eek:

Now that's funny. I learned to drive a Maverick with "three on the tree" - five would have been impossible with the throw and slop in that linkage.:rofl:
Well, that's a new one on me as well.

Wes

Hey there Stu,

That's kind of cool. (Except that it's on the wrong side of the column) AND the wrong side of the truck too.

I used to drive an older (1968 or so) International 1800 tilt cab flatbed that had a 5 speed column shifter (left hand driver and the stick was on the proper side of the column) but that one had a two speed axel and the button was on the knob of the shifter. Try that for fun.

Aloha, Tony

Well I started on a '63 F100 Unibody pickup with three on the tree. Interesting shift pattern as reverse and first are usually opposite each other as they utilize the large gear for torque. With speed shifting would sometimes lock up the linkage, can't imagine the linkage nightmare under the hood for five on the tree! :eek:

Add me to the list that's never seen more that 3 +reverse on a column shift. That story does bring up a memory of when Dad and I were looking for my first car. Went out one day, may have still had a learners permit, or may have just gotten my license, and Dad drove a little used Chevy II I think. I was in the back seat, the salesman was in the front passenger seat. After a little while, Dad asked if I wanted to drive it. I said "YEAH!!" :D I got in, Dad went to the back seat. Salesman asked if I had ever driven a manual trans before. I said "No" You should have seen the look on his face. I said "Shift pattern is still an H pattern, just on the column, right?" He nodded yes with his chin down about his belt buckle. :eek: So I put it in gear and took off. Nice and smooth. Smooth shifts. We got back to the dealership, and he asked if I was kidding him about driving a manual before. I said no, first time. My Dad then chimes in that I had been riding motorcycles for the last 2 years, and understood the clutch-shift-gas sequence. But the look on that buys face was priceless! :thumb::thumb::thumb: