Bamboo..........???

Stuart Ablett

A while back, I posted this thread........

>> Pruning a Cedar Shrub....HELP <<

Well, in that thread, Bill Lantry suggested "Bamboo", I was not really keen on the idea, as I've seen a LOT of lousy looking plantings of bamboo, stuff grows like grass :D

But then, the other day, I was walking down the street and I saw this........

bamboo_option.jpg

........ in front of a small local restaurant.

I think this looks really nice, and so does Emiko, so when the other trees come out, there is a good chance, the new green stuff will be bamboo, thanks Bill :thumb:

Stu,

Glad you like it. I ain't much of a woodworker, but I *am* a gardener... ;)

By the way, that looks like what we call "black stem" bamboo around these parts. Where you are, I think they call it Nitaguro chiku. Tough enough to grow in containers, looks good year round, and if it starts getting a little rampant it's amenable to trimming...

Now if I could only finish this house, so I can have a garden again... :doh:

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
ack - i HAVE bamboo in my yard - and i am absolutely ticked that i do. It sprouts new shoots all over the yard - some as many as 30-40... even 50 feet away from the stand of bamboo itself!

ack - i HAVE bamboo in my yard - and i am absolutely ticked that i do. It sprouts new shoots all over the yard - some as many as 30-40... even 50 feet away from the stand of bamboo itself!
Nandina (AKA "Heavenly Bamboo") is bad enough, I have no idea how nasty the real stuff is. The local nursery had some black bamboo for sale awhile back, with "Container Only!" in great big letters on the planting recommendations...I decided life was too short to mess with something that aggressive.

Lee,

"heavenly bamboo", as you know, is not bamboo at all, it's actually a Barberry. If there's one plant I could bar from the planet, it would be that. This is likely a result of every bad condo landscape designer in so cal planting it in the central courtyard. It's the plant equivalent of those awful crocs you see on everyone's feet in the summer time... ;)

Jason, if you want to get rid of it, it's really easy. You're near Sacramento? We'll talk around mid February. It's no big deal...

Thanks,

Bill

Jason, if you want to get rid of it, it's really easy. You're near Sacramento? We'll talk around mid February. It's no big deal...

Thanks,

Bill

Bill - I'll hold ya to it! I've heard remedies ranging from cutting it off and painting round-up FULL strength on the ends within 15 seconds to a whole lot of digging. I don't do digging - especially when it's something i dislike. I'd be more inclined to nuke my yard than dig up bamboo roots. :p

Mid feb is the right time, eh? That's already helpful - we were thinkin' of doing it as soon as we picked up the good juice (50buck roundup). I wasn't sure it'd work and 50 clams is a big gamble for something i have disdain for.

I shall pick your brain come february, then. Thank you :)

Jason,

There's no digging involved. And no roundup (blech). Having grown up with chlordane around the house, I'm disinclined to believe any claims about the safety of pesticides and herbicides. We actually used to use 24d around the house. Yikes! Then they mixed it with 245t... :(

Anyway, it's actually really easy...

Thanks,

Bill

you guys that have this stuff growing out of control, should harvest it and start advertising it in bundles in the northeast.
I cant begin to tell you all how expensive bamboo is up here.
And I know it grows wild at the east end here, but I could not find any dealers in it, only florida and the west coast, where I shipped it from.