Thread: Woodworking sacrilege--forgive me!

Woodworking sacrilege--forgive me!

Do to equipment failure the LOML had a new washer and drier delivered yesterday. By switching from side by side to a stacked set of front loaders the small laundry room seems larger. Instead of refilling the existing shelving after the install, I suggested replacing the shelves with cabinets. Naturally she thought I was a genius. Late this afternoon we headed for Lowes where I hoped to find a couple of decent sheets of birch ply. To make a long story short we ended up buying stock, finished cabinets on clearance for less the cost of materials I would have needed. Yes, I opted to buy, not build. Will my beloved shop occupants ever forgive me?
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Of course, you did a lot of things right, you saved some money, saved time and you made your wife happy with getting the job done quickly

Now you have not busted the budget, you have free time and a happy wife.......... looks like a "win-win-win" to me
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

No shame in that. The money you saved can go towards buying new tools for the next thing you decide not to build.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Stu, Vaughn:
    It's good to know that you look at it the same way I did! Now if my table saw doesn't hold a grudge I've got it made.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    So if you saved money by buying the cabinets you can buy another tool for the shop. Right?

There is an actual added sneaky bonus that could be had too, if, and I say "IF" the store bought cabinets are not very good (but they were cheap and quick) and they start to fall apart, then you can step up and replace them with shop built quality cabinets, and REALLY be the hero.........

Told you it was sneaky
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

No shame in your game. You saved money and all the time you saved by not having to make laundry cabinets you can spend on a nice sideboard ;-) Sounds like a win, win to me.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

While all woodworking is fun, some is more fun than other. Wall cabinets are not one of the more fun adventures in woodworking as far as I'm concerned. So, use the money saved to buy wood to make something you enjoy doing more.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

good idea
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-04-2008 at 07:35 PM.