Mr. Fedex came by the house Friday with about 20 pounds of new lathe tooling. Had to try it out tonight on some dry and punky alder "practice wood" I had laying around.
I ended up getting the "complete" McNaughton coring system, which is the standard blades plus the big ones. I expect to do enough big pieces that the big blades should pay for themselves. As it turned out, I already used one of the long ones tonight due to the depth of the blank I was playing with. I also learned they come from the factory pretty sharp. I was pulling the little rubbery protective tips off one of the blades and sliced my finger open pretty good.
I can tell I still have a lot to learn as far using this rig. I had several belt-screeching catches, but for having never seen one in action (other than short video clips), I think I did OK. I've got the Mike Mahoney coring DVD on order, so hopefully that'll help shorten the learning curve.
This set of cores was more of a test run than anything else. The blank I used was badly split, and as punky as it is, it's probably not worth the effort to finish out the bowls, but I might go ahead and try, and use them for finishing practice.