Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 1182 Jointer ??

Trinity County - 160 miles north of San Francisco. Redwood forest.

Grizzly 1182 Jointer ??

Any knowledge of this product? I'm in line to buy one in 'barely used' condition.

Gary Curtis
    Northern California

Looks like pretty much your basic 6" jointer. Ought to work well. Hope you can get it for a good price.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I've got one. No complaints other than the motor mount was racked during shipping, and by the time I got it bent into a workable place, the factory belt would no longer fit. I fixed it with the link belt and have had no problems since.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I had one. Like Vaughn's, it served me very well and I loved it. BUT!!!.......You will want a bigger one. I went to 8" and now I "need" bigger. Might as well buy yourself an 8" (or larger) now and save yourself the hassle.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Trinity County - 160 miles north of San Francisco. Redwood forest.
    Never having had a jointer before, I am kind of timid about issues raised about squareness of the fence, the infeed/outfeed tables being co-planar, and difficulty setting and maintaining fence position. If those are not found on the Grizzly, that's good.

Mark, I hear you on the 8" jointer rationale, but I'm getting this baby for $250 --- delivered to my garage in a remote Northern California town. The extra capacity would make sense, particularly since I'm new to WWing and can't foresee what projects I'll build. But there are too many advantages to getting this machine, even if it's only qualifies as a 'starter'.

The model number --- G1182 --- doesn't have all the letters after it like the new one, so I am assuming it doesn't have a few advanced features.

Gary

Gary, any jointer can go out of adjustment, but I've not had any problems keeping mine where I want it.

The models without the "HW" in the number don't have handwheels for adjusting the beds...they're levers instead. Both methods work just fine.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Gary, any jointer can go out of adjustment, but I've not had any problems keeping mine where I want it.

The models without the "HW" in the number don't have handwheels for adjusting the beds...they're levers instead. Both methods work just fine.

Hey Vaughn, don't forget about the super secret Dee-lux model that ended in "Z". I had that one and boy was it special. That different, special cabinet made all my projects come out extra good.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios View Post
    Hey Vaughn, don't forget about the super secret Dee-lux model that ended in "Z". I had that one and boy was it special. That different, special cabinet made all my projects come out extra good.
    Yeah, I think the "Z" model also had the McGillicuddy tensioner for the outboard roller gauge.

workingwoods.com

Mine's 5 or 6 years old and going strong. It was made in the same factory in Taiwan as the Jet, GI, Bridgewood, Sunhill, and others of that era. It was also rated #1 by Wood in 2001. Most warped fence issues I've read about were either a very few isolated issues, or were related to one of the older Delta models...the 37-195 IIRC, but even those were addressed ~ 5 years ago.
    Got Wood?

I'm with Scott, if there is a "warpage" issue, its been there from the beginning and the seller should be aware of it. Just take a decent straight edge (or an indecent one if that's what you've got ) and check your surfaces.

Unless there is a problem with the tables relationship to each other, you should be OK. I think that will make a nice jointer for you starting out.

Depending on what you end up enjoying, woodworking-wise, it may be the only jointer you will need. Its hard to predict what we may end up doing when we start out but a good jointer is fundamental to a lot of things. Good luck.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke