Grizzly 1182 Jointer ??

I've got one. No complaints other than the motor mount was racked during shipping, and by the time I got it bent into a workable place, the factory belt would no longer fit. I fixed it with the link belt and have had no problems since.

I had one. Like Vaughn's, it served me very well and I loved it. BUT!!!.......You will want a bigger one. I went to 8" and now I "need";) bigger. Might as well buy yourself an 8" (or larger) now and save yourself the hassle. :D

Never having had a jointer before, I am kind of timid about issues raised about squareness of the fence, the infeed/outfeed tables being co-planar, and difficulty setting and maintaining fence position. If those are not found on the Grizzly, that's good.

Mark, I hear you on the 8" jointer rationale, but I'm getting this baby for $250 --- delivered to my garage in a remote Northern California town. The extra capacity would make sense, particularly since I'm new to WWing and can't foresee what projects I'll build. But there are too many advantages to getting this machine, even if it's only qualifies as a 'starter'.

The model number --- G1182 --- doesn't have all the letters after it like the new one, so I am assuming it doesn't have a few advanced features.

Gary

Gary, any jointer can go out of adjustment, but I've not had any problems keeping mine where I want it.

The models without the "HW" in the number don't have handwheels for adjusting the beds...they're levers instead. Both methods work just fine.

Gary, any jointer can go out of adjustment, but I've not had any problems keeping mine where I want it.

The models without the "HW" in the number don't have handwheels for adjusting the beds...they're levers instead. Both methods work just fine.

Hey Vaughn, don't forget about the super secret Dee-lux model that ended in "Z". I had that one and boy was it special. That different, special cabinet made all my projects come out extra good.

Hey Vaughn, don't forget about the super secret Dee-lux model that ended in "Z". I had that one and boy was it special. That different, special cabinet made all my projects come out extra good.
Yeah, I think the "Z" model also had the McGillicuddy tensioner for the outboard roller gauge. :D

Mine's 5 or 6 years old and going strong. It was made in the same factory in Taiwan as the Jet, GI, Bridgewood, Sunhill, and others of that era. It was also rated #1 by Wood in 2001. Most warped fence issues I've read about were either a very few isolated issues, or were related to one of the older Delta models...the 37-195 IIRC, but even those were addressed ~ 5 years ago.

I'm with Scott, if there is a "warpage" issue, its been there from the beginning and the seller should be aware of it. Just take a decent straight edge (or an indecent one if that's what you've got ;)) and check your surfaces.

Unless there is a problem with the tables relationship to each other, you should be OK. I think that will make a nice jointer for you starting out.

Depending on what you end up enjoying, woodworking-wise, it may be the only jointer you will need. Its hard to predict what we may end up doing when we start out but a good jointer is fundamental to a lot of things. Good luck.

Gary...

I'm a fan of Grizzly tools. I have one of their 12" jointers, and it's one of the most-used tools in my shop...but it wasn't my first jointer. That 6" will be fine for a starter, and for $250...by the time you want to trade up it won't owe you anything. As Vaughn says any jointer can go out of adjustment. That's not the problem. The problem would be in not having any way to re-align it...particularly the tables being coplanar. I looked at the manual for the G1182 (available online) and it appears that adjustment is possible, but you might want to ask tech support (csr@grizzly.com) They are excellent responders. A jointer that you can't get coplanar will make you crazy. Of course it may be fine when you get it, and remain so for a long time.

You should plan on some sort of dust collection. If the chips aren't actively sucked out of the machine the spinning head will blow them out all over the infeed table...major nuisance.

Keep in mind that the two primary uses of a jointer are to true up one side of a board prior to running it through a planer, and to prepare the edges of dimensioned stock for glue up. It's that flattening the side of a board part that will get you thinking upgrade. It's virtually impossible to true up a board that's wider than the capacity of the machine (well, I could never do it anyway). Just saying.

Good luck with it.

Cheers.

Ed, thanks for the information. I've got a new 1.5hp General dust collector. And as far as the size goes, I've now able to emerge from my shop-outfitting cacoon and become a woodworking butterfly. I'll limit my projects in size to match the capacity of the machinery.

To minimize the equipment footprint on the shop floor, I'd love to have a European combination Planer/Jointer with a 16 or 20-inch cutting head. But until I'm skillful enough to start cranking out furniture, I don't deserve that kind of quality. It's in the future.

Gary