Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: baseball bat

baseball bat

We have been visiting with my son and his family. They have the twin boys I took camping. While there they were saying they were having trouble finding a wood baseball bat for one of the boys. Of course, grandpa volunteered to make one. I'm happy to, but two problems: Even with all the wood I have piled and stacked around my place, I don't have a suitable billet of ash or hickory for a bat. There is a persimmon tree that has been down a couple years. But, I don't know if that's a good bat wood. Other problem: I'm so totally disinterested in baseball that I have been called un-American. I actually fell asleep once while on assignment photographing a b'ball game in Chicago when one of the all-time greats hit a record home run. And, that is true. Ennyhow, I don't know the proportions to use. Will probably pick up a junior aluminum bat at Salvation Army or someplace to use as a pattern. Will also Google for patterns. Stay tuned, it will be fun.
    Oh, BTW, the other twin is a budding chef. I'll make him a cutting board. It will be either teak and maple or walnut and maple.

Sounds like a great project Frank, and once done with the bat, you can wash your hands of baseball.

A couple of things I found on-line:

Turning Baseball Bat Blanks

Making a Baseball Bat

That will be a cool project, Frank.

As for wood, well, all Louisville Slugger bats are made from Ash. That is the traditional wood for MLB bats, also. In the last ten years or so, Maple has gotten popular with MLB players, especially since Barry Bonds hit 73 HR's using Maple bats. But, they are controversial because of their propensity to splinter and are on the verge of being banned by MLB.

Persimmon would be an interesting choice. Before the advent of metal drivers and metal fairway clubs, Persimmon was the standard for golf club heads. It actually belongs to the Ebony family and is probably as dense as any North American wood.

Anyway, have fun and be sure to show us the end result of whatever wood you choose.
    Cody

Cutting board or rolling pin from the discarded bat blanks.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    Sounds like a great project Frank, and once done with the bat, you can wash your hands of baseball.

A couple of things I found on-line:

Turning Baseball Bat Blanks

Making a Baseball Bat

Thanks. Exactly what I need. His will be a 30", 17 oz. Getting the weight right might prove tricky. I'll approach that as I do it. Definately will not use maple. Which, in a way, is a shame because I have a huge stash. Oh, well.

I believe Woodcraft sells bat blanks. Don't know the cost. I have started watching baseball now that one of the Twins' catchers is going to be my son in law. He doesn't know that yet since my daughter hasn't met him in person.

Me? Pay? For wood?
    Actually, the reality that I might have to pay for a hunk of wood when so much comes my way free is almost a shocking concept. If I had ever thought I would need a billet of hickory or ash, I could have asked any number of people a long time ago to just cut some 4' long instead of firewood short. Hickory is very common around here. In fact, I know where I can get some but it would still be green.
    I'll be checking one local source tomorrow and may luck out. Otherwise, Frank, your Fine Hard Woods tip looks to be the best deal. Thanks.

My pleasure Frank. Hit one out of the park for us.

Hi Frank,

Here is one more link for you. This guy is local to me, and has always treated me very well.

http://www.kencraftcompany.com/

The bat blanks are listed in a scroll at the bottom of the page. $14.95 I think.

Best wishes,
    Dave