Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad, bad week.

Bad, bad week.

This last week has been a rotten one. First, a neighbor I know from church committed suicide. Lou had around 5 heart surgeries, and had recently been diagnosed with cancer. His insurance company dropped him because he had maxed out his coverage?? I didn't know you could do that. I wish I had known he was struggling. I would have gladly spent some time talking to him.

Thursday morning, another neighbor was struck and killed by a car. It was his own fault apparently. He was walking home from the bar, drunk and may have passed out on the road. While I only met him once, it still saddens a person.

On Friday, our family dog died. Klondike was a great collie in the traditions of Lassie. She was very protective of the kids and always let us know when someone pulled in the yard, or when the cows got out. I watched her on several occasions herd one of our small kids away from the road. While she had one bad habit I never could break her of, chasing every car that went by, She will be missed.

In addition, there have been several break-ins in the area, and an attempted kidnapping. The police think by the same person. Bad time for the dog to kick the bucket. I will be going to town tomorrow to get a new motion detector light. Time to keep a shotgun handy. I am also in the market for a new dog. My youngsters have pestered me all day to get a puppy.

I think I will take a week off.

Wow Paul, that is some week. Sorry to hear things haven't been going so well. A new pup might be the thing to get things on track. Might need that week to get it acclimated to the new home anyway.

Good Luck, sure hope things go better this week for ya.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Hang in there Paul, wish I could help more, but that's just one of those really rotten weeks that happen from time to time. There're plenty of dogs looking for a good home, I hope you find a perfect fit for your kids.
    -Ned

My sympathy goes to your neighbors who have suffered losses this week. That can be devastating to a close knit neighborhood. Listen to the kids--a puppy seems to always add cheer to a household.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Paul, my sympathies for your past week. Where are you located?
    Have a six month old mini long haired jack russell that actually looks like a mini mini (only about eight inches tall) black and white collie. If you are close, he is yours. He will bark at anything that moves in his yard/area. I am in NW Indiana. Have a sister from IL coming over next Sunday if that gets him closer to you.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Paul, my sympathies for your past week. Where are you located?
    Have a six month old mini long haired jack russell that actually looks like a mini mini (only about eight inches tall) black and white collie. If you are close, he is yours. He will bark at anything that moves in his yard/area. I am in NW Indiana. Have a sister from IL coming over next Sunday if that gets him closer to you.
    Wow, now that is "Family"

Paul, really sorry to hear about the troubles, I've had a bad week too, but I know it will end, and there is another week just ahead.

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

Stu
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Sorry to hear of the rough week, Paul. Maybe a week off might be good all around. I agree with the new pup idea, too.

LOML's mom passed away Sunday morning, so I suspect I'm going to be in for a bumpy week myself.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

When things happen, they seem to happen in a big way. Really sorry to hear this and I hope things turn around soon.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Paul sorry to hear about your bad week.

Strange how things happen in three's

When it rains it pours, .....then there will be sunshine.
    Last edited by Dave Trask; 08-04-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    Don’t have the best tools, don't use the best woods and projects don’t always turnout perfeck.
    I just feel the need to work with wood!

Jonathan, thanks for your generous offer. I am leaning toward a bigger dog. Size does matter sometimes when it comes to a watch dog. Though I must admit that I've only been bitten by small dogs, they can be quite feisty. We just missed getting a free lab puppy. they were all gone by the time I checked out the ad. I did find an ad for a free 2 yr old lab. I might call today to see if it's still available. Many people are pleased to allow a dog to be adopted out to a farm. Plenty of room to roam. I do like a homebody type dog. Our last dog was very good at staying close to home.
    Our neighbor has a little tiny dog that is always visiting all over the neighborhood. It snuk into the high-school and created a ruckus a few months ago. I had to dodge it a few mornings ago while I was loading cow feed with a skid-steer. I expect it will get real flat if it keeps running all over the neighborhood.

We're going to bleach/ power-wash down the front porch and everywhere else our dog used to lay. I don't know what killed her, so we are going to take precautions.