mdf

Bob Wiggins

Former Member (by the member's request)
In doing a search for assembly techniques (a box as an example) of mdf on this forum I find none. I did find on google screws aren't recommended because of de-lamination. Would someone point me in that direction.

Last edited:
I've either glue and nail with 18 gauge brads or screw. I do use a dewalt drill/counter sink bit when screwing mdf. Drilling the pilot hole prevents it from splitting.

Bob, you certainly can use screws in mdf, but, you will want to look into the Conformat system and screws. Imparitive that you predrill using their step drill bit...

Good glue is your friend.

I rabbet, glue (and screw or brad depending on the expected stress) following the guidelines for screwing MDF I have never had a problem. Use straight shaft screws (as opposed to traditional wood screws), drill the pilot hole the diameter of the screw shaft so that only the threads cut into the MDF, drill the hole a bit deeper than required (that is, never force the screw into the MDF like a wedge, it will fail). I use TB-I or II and have a rolling work cabinet/table that has been abused for 3 years and the drawers still move freely and the joints show no sign of fatigue.

My son has a audio business and build sub boxes out of mdf all the time. Glued and screwed. all screws are pre drilled. One box in particular holds a stereo that pushes 158db at the last sound show in Detroit. So Glue and screws hold up real well.

Tom

One thing I didn't see mentioned is to stay as centered as possible. Don't put a screw near the edge. Even with pre-drilling there is a higher risk of having a delamination. (I hate it when that happens):D

I've used both the sheetrock type screws and regular wood screws by drilling a pilot hole then adding a drop or to of CA glue into the hole just prior to driving each screw. Drilling, then running the screw into the hole causes the MDF to powder and the CA glue mixes with the powder then hardens around the screw.

Stay away from screwing into edges, if you can, and if you can't drill a little larger pilot hole.