Taint a jig! but works great

larry merlau

i recycled an old fryin pan for cleaning saw blades, it had hump in the center from over heating and therefore it keeps the juice flowing around well by gently rockin like you would develope film the old way. fit a ten inch blade jist fine and the biger ones would work fer 12 inchers.

Great idea Larry. But what brand of frying pan works best and can I get it at the BORG? ----just kidding.:rofl:

I use the plastic lids they put on bakery stuff, but that means that sometimes I have to eat a piece or two of pie to get a cleaning basin. Don't need that.:rolleyes:

What's your juice? I use simple green, but someone mentioned sal soda (carbonate of soda) that is used in laundries, apparently its cheap, very effective, and harmless - sounds too good to be true.

recipes are usually secret

the pan was a farber ware teflon scratched finish and the juice i use is called awesom ..seriously its ther name of it. you can spray it on with the widow sprayer thinggy and then just ad some water to help cover it up spray it straight.. you can see it dissolve the crude then i after i dry it off and give her a dose of topcoat fer good measure.

On the subject - is there any harm cleaning a nice carbide blade with a steel wire wheel mounted in an electric drill?

I did this to my WWII and it did a great job [along with the simple green], but now I'm worried about micro fractures or other such unseen damage.

I've found nothing that makes the varnish easily rub off, it always seems to take enough scrubbing that the vinyl gloves tear all through. And I don't like getting the cleaning solutions on my skin.

Ken

i wouldnt, if i wur U

to me the sounds of using a steel brush against carbide teeth isnt good. so i am sure there are others that are more informed on the best way to clean them,,i use a brass brush, brass is softer than steel and better than finners.

On the subject - is there any harm cleaning a nice carbide blade with a steel wire wheel mounted in an electric drill?

I did this to my WWII and it did a great job [along with the simple green], but now I'm worried about micro fractures or other such unseen damage.

I've found nothing that makes the varnish easily rub off, it always seems to take enough scrubbing that the vinyl gloves tear all through. And I don't like getting the cleaning solutions on my skin.

Ken

ken, just soak `em in lacquer thinner..very little if any scrubbing required..tod

I have a tupperware container that's round in which I keep Formula 409. I just submerge the blade for half an hour (while I'm doing other things) and then clean off the stubborn parts with a brass brush. The brushing is very minimal as the gunk comes off really easy. For the most part the gunk falls off as I take the blade out of the 409.

I use an old Pizza pan, shallow and needs only a small amount of solvant to soak. As for Simple Green, I used to use it a lot but there was some scuttlebutt a while back about it being hard on the bond of the Carbide teeth. Even Simple Green web site discourages its use as a soaking. Spray and wipe is their reccommendation.

I have not yet tried the Laundry Soda but bought a box the other day and will try it out soon.

Great idea Larry:thumb:

Just don't be using them cookie jars for blade cleaning.;)