Piano Pen

Jon Lanier

Made with Rhodium Jr Gent II.

jrgentiipianock9.jpg

Very nice, Jon. Looks like you did a great job on it.

I've got a friend who collects anything keyboard related, and I keep debating whether to make him one of these. Based on my most recent pen-making adventures, I'm not sure I want to risk the cost for a pen I quite likely will mess up.

Jon,
Nicely done. Did you have any trouble fitting the holly in? I've made several of these and always seem to have to fuss with it to make it fit in. BTW, I just finished one of his "Stars and Stripes" pens and that went together rather nicely.

Great looking pen! :thumb: Add me to the list of those requesting a how to one this one.

They are frequently shown on the pen turning forums. These are made by
http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/StoreFront

The kits come in a bunch of itsy-bitsy-teensy-weenie pieces which must be assembled and glued together before turning and finishing.
Kinda pricey, IMHO, about $35.00 and up per kit.

They are frequently shown on the pen turning forums. These are made by
http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/StoreFront

The kits come in a bunch of itsy-bitsy-teensy-weenie pieces which must be assembled and glued together before turning and finishing.
Kinda pricey, IMHO, about $35.00 and up per kit.

Hey Frank,

I agree to pricey! Wife covinced me to get one, said it would sell... if not it would be a good thing to have at the booth for people to come and look at it. Well, we sold it for $95.

Go figure.

Best Sellers

I make all the kit pens. Puzzle pen, Piano, Stars&Stripes and Fish pen

They are by far my best sellers.

Of the kit pens the Stars&Stripes is the sales leader by maybe 5 to 1.

I do a few smalll craft shows in the fall. There is sometimes someone selling $20 Slimlines. I sell more $200+ Stars&Stripes than he sells Slimlines.

Of course I have a laser and can custom engrave a wood case to their liking to go with the pen.

And NO I do not take the laser to the shows. They just need to wait a day or so for the case.

And BTW the itsy-bitsy-teensy-weenie pieces

The Piano pen is just 2 pieces, Fish pen 2 pieces, Flag Pen 57 pieces, Puzzle Pen 36 pieces

Last edited:
Jon, I hope you consider $95.00 a profitable return. Sounds like a barely break-even to me.
Pete, maybe I exaggerated just an itsy-bitsy-teeny-weenie bit. ;)
But, 57 and 36 pieces for a pen blank sounds like a lot of tiny parts to me.
However, glad to learn all the piano keys are not individual teeny bits.

Jon, I hope you consider $95.00 a profitable return. Sounds like a barely break-even to me.
Pete, maybe I exaggerated just an itsy-bitsy-teeny-weenie bit. ;)
But, 57 and 36 pieces for a pen blank sounds like a lot of tiny parts to me.
However, glad to learn all the piano keys are not individual teeny bits.

$35 blank + $18 Kit = $53 pen

1 hour to make = $42 for 1 hour of work. I'll take that