Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Clock

Shaker Clock

Hello all,
    Here are a few pictures of a Shaker Clock I made for my parents 40th anniversary. I followed the plans from Wood Magazine Dec/Jan 2004-2005 and only made a few changes. The clock dial and movement were from Craftime Clockery. The hinges are no mortise hinges from Lee Valley and the knob came from there as well. The clock is oak coated in 2 coats of natural min wax stain cut 50% with mineral spirits, then clear coated with poly cut 50% for the 1st 2 coats and the last coat of poly was cut 25%. I used rare earth magnets in the clock body and the door to keep it closed. I had a problem with installing the magnets because I was following the plan and could not figure out why the magnet and the screw for the knob weren't lining up, so I just in frustration put piece of double sided tape on the door and moved the 2nd magnet around until it lined up. I then traced around the magnet and drilled a hole for its location.

The clock is 17" high by 8 1/2" wide by 4" deep. I am in the process of building another clock out of cherry and I will donate it for a school auction in November. I hope to build a larger clock that is featured in Canadian Woodworking for my wife and I. That one will be out of walnut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 202d.jpg   204c.jpg   205a.jpg   201b.jpg  

very nice!

I agree with Allen. Your clock looks very nice indeed.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nicely done . Your parents can't help but like it. Congrats to them on their 40th!

Tom

Great job on the clock Stephan, looks to be a great present
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Hi Stephan ,
    Thanks for the pictures. They are photos of a fine project, and a worthy gift. Thanks also for the step by step.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Thanks for all the comments, this project was a real treat to do. It was one that was actually finished a week ahead of schedule. That alone makes it so much easier. The chiming of the clock reminds me so much of my grandparents house because he was always repairing old clocks and at any time had about 10 hanging in the house repaired or waiting to be repaired. It was a wonderful moment when all the clocks started to chime on the hour. Some people hated all the noise but I just loved it. Maybe this is why I enjoy building clocks so much. Thanks again for the comments.

Stephan

Nicely done Stephan! Great pictures, great work!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Thumbs up right on time!!!

well stephan now you can get started on the other one outa walnut seein as how you got dune sooner than yu expected nice job there and congrats to your folks for making a milestone that not nearly enough do anymore..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Excellent!! That clock will likely be a family heirloom someday and a lovely one at that!!

cheers