Shaker Clock

Hello all,
Here are a few pictures of a Shaker Clock I made for my parents 40th anniversary. I followed the plans from Wood Magazine Dec/Jan 2004-2005 and only made a few changes. The clock dial and movement were from Craftime Clockery. The hinges are no mortise hinges from Lee Valley and the knob came from there as well. The clock is oak coated in 2 coats of natural min wax stain cut 50% with mineral spirits, then clear coated with poly cut 50% for the 1st 2 coats and the last coat of poly was cut 25%. I used rare earth magnets in the clock body and the door to keep it closed. I had a problem with installing the magnets because I was following the plan and could not figure out why the magnet and the screw for the knob weren't lining up, so I just in frustration put piece of double sided tape on the door and moved the 2nd magnet around until it lined up. I then traced around the magnet and drilled a hole for its location.

The clock is 17" high by 8 1/2" wide by 4" deep. I am in the process of building another clock out of cherry and I will donate it for a school auction in November. I hope to build a larger clock that is featured in Canadian Woodworking for my wife and I. That one will be out of walnut.

Attachments

• 202d.jpg
    202d.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 204c.jpg
    204c.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 205a.jpg
    205a.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 29
  • 201b.jpg
    201b.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for all the comments, this project was a real treat to do. It was one that was actually finished a week ahead of schedule. That alone makes it so much easier. The chiming of the clock reminds me so much of my grandparents house because he was always repairing old clocks and at any time had about 10 hanging in the house repaired or waiting to be repaired. It was a wonderful moment when all the clocks started to chime on the hour. Some people hated all the noise but I just loved it. Maybe this is why I enjoy building clocks so much. Thanks again for the comments.

Stephan

right on time!!!

well stephan now you can get started on the other one outa walnut seein as how you got dune sooner than yu expected:D nice job there and congrats to your folks for making a milestone that not nearly enough do anymore..

Hey John!
Shaker is an easy one with the clock thing.

When the clock strikes 12 every thing shakes,:eek: that is why they call it a shaker! :D:rofl::rofl:.

Just kidding, good question.:wave: What is the "Shaker"?
Shaz :)

Shakers are a religious group originally from England I believe. Not sure if they still exist. Their furniture is similar to Amish.